Warning light flashing next to temp guage

Steerpike

Dec 21, 2009
Hi,

I have the red warning light coming on (with 3 beeps) when I start the car - the light continues flashing also. This is the light next to the temperature guage.

I think it might be to warn that the radiator is low? Can anyone confirm and also advise what I can top it up with? (ionised water??)

Thanks!

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
i think that means your coolant is low :(

you'll want the VAG approved G12 coolant either from your local dealer or a local motor factors can supply the G12 grade long life (5 years IIRC) stuff ;)

you'll want to check the coolant level ASAP otherwise it will get costly very quickly! :blink:

Steerpike

Dec 21, 2009
thanks for this. Is G12 the name of the coolant? and do I mix that with water? sorry to be a bit ignorant :(

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
i think G12 means the spec / grade / type of coolant, if you're asking at the dealer, they will know what you mean.
they should be familiar with it at any motor factors, if not read the label on the back, should give you the full spec and mention "G12 approved";)

pour it in neat, the whole bottle of it if neccesary then top up with water :D

There's no need to scaremonger Air :D ... Though if the OP had cared to search he'd find a gazillion topics all on the same thing:

Either you coolant level is slightly low and the extremely cold temp has caused your coolant to contract and cause the low fluid level warning to come on. Which doesn't imply you have a leak, so no real need to worry!

Or

The prongs in the expansion tank need a little scrape...

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Mine does this every time it is very cold.

Turn it off and turn it back on again, check the levels for good measure :p

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
There's no need to scaremonger Air :D ...

didn't mean to scare ;), just pointing out if the level is really low, it can get very costly!
i cracked the head on a car before, but it turned out i had a radiator split and had no coolant :blink:

depends how long the OP has been driving around with said warning flashing light on for :whistle:, if its just come on, should be ok, if its been on 2 weeks :wtf:

Steerpike

Dec 21, 2009
thanks for the advice.

Any reason I shouldn't use common Anti Freeze from the local petrol station?

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Just use G12; it's what the car is designed to use!

If the level is high enough though, as already stated, try scraping the prongs in the expansion chamber first; very common fault, including on the wifes 1.4, and scraping the prongs with a penknife sorted it quickly. Easy fix and it costs nothing. Just make sure you do it while the coolant is cold

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Mine did teh very same yesterday when I got her out the garage.
Put about ml in and all was well.

Just a quick question, why are the bloody beeps so loud! Theres's a beep for everything..

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
me and my mate whose got an A3 were discussing this the other day, how it beeps really loud to tell you youre washer fluid is getting low, but then when the ESP system stopped working when my I accidentally left my MAF disconnected the other day (oops!) there was no beep!!

I for one would rather be warned if I'm more likely to be plouging sideways into a wall than if I wont be able to keep my rear windscreen all sparkly thanks!! haha

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
yeah the light came on, but there was no beep to go with it, unlike the washer fluid level where u get both! just seems a bit the wrong way round to me!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members