Washer jets frozen

froilburner

FR Oil Burner
Apr 9, 2006
Was driving home tonight and tried to spray water onto the window, nothing happened. Stopped and topped up the reservoir but still no water. The temp outside was -3. Has anyone else experienced this? Never had this with my previous toledo.

Currently driving an 07 FR, no convience pack so does not have heated jets

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Had this problem, the issue is that the washer reservoir is right at the front behind the right hand foglight and doesn't get thawed out by the engines heat. I've had to put half a litre of anti-freeze for screen wash in after parking the car facing the sun all day to get the ice out and now doesn't freeze at all. Bad design if I'm honest, never had a problem with my MK1 Leon :(

Danny.

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
the heated jets come with the winter pack.

Starting to wish I ordered mine with the winter pack, although the heated jets wont stop the washer bottle from freezing up. Hopefully the weather will be a little bit warmer when it arrives...

Ciosmi

Nov 8, 2009
Bucharest
My washers are also frozen + headlight washers,and they wont go in.They're stucked out.It all happened over night:cry:
Solution for the headlight washers?
I'm afraid they are broken[:@].Maybe when it will get warmer outside they will go in....hope so

dave.richmond

Jul 29, 2009
i use a screen wash that has antifreeze in it. although its not been that cold down here yet. Also when de-icing the windscreen i give the washer nozzles a squirt of de-icer too.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
My washers are also frozen + headlight washers,and they wont go in.They're stucked out.It all happened over night:cry:
Solution for the headlight washers?
I'm afraid they are broken[:@].Maybe when it will get warmer outside they will go in....hope so

One of mine did the same earlier. It went back in..............but now the other one is sitting out abit. I'm gonna try really warm water on them and try to use them again to see if they pull back in fully.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
One of mine did the same earlier. It went back in..............but now the other one is sitting out abit. I'm gonna try really warm water on them and try to use them again to see if they pull back in fully.

i had the same last year, dont force them they will go back when thawed no problem.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
i had the same last year, dont force them they will go back when thawed no problem.

Thanks.:)

I'll try the warm water, then try and use them to see if it works.

Were your sticking out alot? 1 of mine was quite far out till I tried it again and it went back in..........then the other one stayed out abit.:censored:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
My headlight scooters are stuck in the fully extended position :lol:

SeatDanny

Developing SEAT owner!
Oct 29, 2009
Northern Ireland, Belfast
Ive had this too, the residual water at the top of the jets (the bit were they spray from) had frozen. Just had pik it off to allow the jets to spray again! I found putting a higher screen wash to water ratio into the tank kept it from happening!

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
^what he said (and some other people), if anyone has actually read a screenwash bottle it tells you the recommended doses for different temperatures. At the moment I would go for 50/50 depending on the make of screenwash.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
^what he said (and some other people), if anyone has actually read a screenwash bottle it tells you the recommended doses for different temperatures. At the moment I would go for 50/50 depending on the make of screenwash.

Even then at 1:1 they only rate it down to -5c it would appear (from most of the bottles I've bought!)

Proby

I Luv Boost!!
Aug 17, 2009
I too got froze up last week. A 50/50 mix seems to have done the trick.

Feb 26, 2009
London
my jets freeze as well, it's so annoying :D all of them freeze, front and back, I get that screenwash from halfords that works up to -20 or something like that but can't use it until jets warm up...