Waste gate chatter

Mhutchy1987

Jul 21, 2014
Hi im hoping to get my first cupra r this weekend and thinking of doing little bits to it but really want waste gate chatter. Just wondering whats the beat way to go about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyJigg

Jul 4, 2013
Southend, Essex
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new (ish) car.

I'll start this post with a disclaimer: I mean all of this in a helpful way, please don't take it as an attack - just friendly advice.

Right, now that's outta the way...

First, this has been covered dozens of times and a search would have given you all the answers you need. This is a great community with LOTS of people who know almost everything (if not everything) about these cars. There is a wealth of information here and it's a shame to see the same topics discussed repeatedly. No harm in asking if you can't find anything in a search, and apologies of you did search.

Secondly, just don't. The noise you are after isn't "wastegate chatter" it's known as compressor stall. It's the pressurised air from the turbo hitting the closed throttle and bouncing back. General consensus is that it causes stress on the turbo and can lead to premature failure. If you add to this the fact that the car is around 10 years old it could become quite expensive quite quickly.

Lastly, if you really want a lot of dump noise then get an open cone filter/induction kit and consider upgrading the intake pipe. The cone will allow the recirculating diverted valve to be heard as a 'whoosh'.
People on here tend to recommend either JR filters, or the OEM cone from a Honda S2000. Avoid any filter that's oiled like the plague - it will coat the MAF (airflow sensor incase you didn't know) with a layer of oil and cause it to misread which can cause your fueling to be incorrect.
The upgraded intake pipe (SFS overbore or Badger5 v3 are popular) are larger diameter than standard which results in a deeper/louder 'whoosh'. Has the added side effect of allowing the turbo to breathe better giving more power, but who wants that ;)

Hope this all helps and happy motoring.

Last edited:

siandcian

Aug 17, 2014
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new (ish) car.

I'll start this post with a disclaimer: I mean all of this in a helpful way, please don't take it as an attack - just friendly advice.

Right, now that's outta the way...

First, this has been covered dozens of times and a search would have given you all the answers you need. This is a great community with LOTS of people who know almost everything (if not everything) about these cars. There is a wealth of information here and it's a shame to see the same topics discussed repeatedly. No harm in asking if you can't find anything in a search, and apologies of you did search.

Secondly, just don't. The noise you are after isn't "wastegate chatter" it's known as compressor stall. It's the pressurised air from the turbo hitting the closed throttle and bouncing back. General consensus is that it causes stress on the turbo and can lead to premature failure. If you add to this the fact that the car is around 10 years old it could become quite expensive quite quickly.

Lastly, if you really want a lot of dump noise then get an open cone filter/induction kit and consider upgrading the intake pipe. The cone will allow the recirculating diverted valve to be heard as a 'whoosh'.
People on here tend to recommend either JR filters, or the OEM cone from a Honda S2000. Avoid any filter that's oiled like the plague - it will coat the MAF (airflow sensor incase you didn't know) with a layer of oil and cause it to misread which can cause your fueling to be incorrect.
The upgraded intake pipe (SFS overbore or Badger5 v3 are popular) are larger diameter than standard which results in a deeper/louder 'whoosh'. Has the added side effect of allowing the turbo to breathe better giving more power, but who wants that ;)

Hope this all helps and happy motoring.

Not being funny but if no one posted and just searched would this mean that hardly any posts would be made and enthusiasts wouldnt be able take pleasure in replying with help full advice. Also mods and issue querys change so much that a thread from 2008 might have different solution today. No offence intended to anyone just my opinion. Im a newbie so need steering right direction myself with lcr r

DannyJigg

Jul 4, 2013
Southend, Essex
As I said in my original post, it wasn't intended to be an attack or to stop anyone from posting. I just wanted to highlight that there is a massive amount of information on these forums and it's always best to search first - if you still can't find what you're after, by all means post asking for help.

The original post didn't mention searching (and was about a topic that has been covered and will likely always have the same answer) so I mentioned searching. It was intended as a gentle reminder as I hate having to bring up the sticky which mentions forum rules, one of which is along the lines of "search before posting".

Either way people will be happy to help but it's more likely they will if you show that you've tried rather than appearing to expect others to do the work for you.

Again, apologies if my posts came across in a hostile fashion as that was not my intention at all.

We're all friends here, right? Please...

:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise