Water entry locations?

May 10, 2023
Anybody know if there's a chart or some sort of map showing where all the drainage holes are for the car?

I was cleaning the plenum chamber and noticed it was filled with leaves and dirt, makes me wonder if there are other drainage holes blocked that need to cleared. The official service repair manual has a chapter named "Manual for locating water entries" but it doesn't really show specific locations for drainage holes throughout the car, it just gives some examples and guidance on how to find water ingress.

So far I've found a couple drainage holes
- there's wide holes on either side of the plenum chamber leading directly to wheel well were the water drain, I've cleared those.
- there seems to be two slits on the bottom of the door frames where water can drain out, they seem to be clear as water easily drains.
- there is a drain pipe behind the back bumper, seems to connect to the fuel filler tray, I poured some water and it drains so that one is ok.

If I'm not mistaken the evaporator doesn't really have a water drain pipe, instead it's kind of built in to the HVAC box in interior and the water exits from an opening in firewall (bulkhead) next to where the AC pipes enter the firewall.

Surely I'm missing a couple spots?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members