Water leak in door

runsinit

Jun 17, 2009
After heavy rain, When I open my drivers door water pours out. It's building up above the bottom seal and filling the door shut to the lip into the footwell (probably over into the car too). I'm told by a previous cupra owner that this is very common and is the seal on the panel inside the door. Anyone got more info? and any problems removing the interior door panel, or is it the usual undo everything you can see and pull!!!

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
hi, welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of leaky leons! yes it is a well known problem and fairly simple to fix with some silicon.

If you search on here there is plenty of threads and info on it, but esentially clean the drian holes in the rubber at bottom of door with a cotton bud.

Take off inner door panel there are screws in the door handle to undo and the panel then just pops out and lifts off at the top by the door pin.

under that is the ancillaries carrier panel ...take that off (see the guide on here somewhere).

apply silicon to seal.....and put back together.

hope that helps

runsinit

Jun 17, 2009
Thanks guys, It's my first experience of a forum and the help is much appreciated. I'm embarking on the job in the morning. Andy's guide looks nice and detailed too. Thanks again.

runsinit

Jun 17, 2009
Did the job yesterday, reasonably straight forward, with all the info provided. Need some rain now to see if it worked. But if weather wants to stay nice then I can wait. Fixed my dodgy electric window switch while I was there too so hopefully a productive day. Thanks all.

Some nice Cupra's you guys got there...

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Weird problem on my right (passenger) front door:

1. Whenever it rains, some water builds up around the lower part of the door seal, let's say a few spoons of water, but does not get over it in the footwell (plastic inner door sill and carpet are bone-dry).

2. Whenever I wash the car, even with high pressure washer, there are only some drops of water on the sill.

Cleaned the drain holes on the bottom of the door, fixed the lower door seal as thoroughly as possible, cleaned main door seal and lubed it up with silicone to prevent cracking.

If there is the inner seal around the ancillaries panel, then how on Earth water builds up only if the car had been stationary in the rain, and not when driving in the rain or washing with pressure!?....

~Nautilus

runsinit

Jun 17, 2009
Your water leak

I think it gets into the door at the base of the glass, so you would expect it would still do this when washing it. I only had it in mine after beeing parked during rain. Havn't had any rain since I sealed the ancilliary panel.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.