Water leak into drivers footwell

sixarm

Jul 24, 2008
I had my drivers door replaced back in October, and I think it's no coincidence that I've now got this water leak. :-o

On searching the forum it sounds like a fair few others have had the same issue and it's either coming in through a seam in the bulkhead or due to a dodgy door seal. Seeing as mine has recently been replaced, and I've not noticed it before, I'd say mine is due to the door.

My question is...

Is there a way to see that it's definitely the door seal at fault? I couldn't see any sign of leakage around the visible door/cabin seal, so how does it get from the door to the footwell?

I just want to confirm before I go about ripping my door apart!

andycupra

status subject to change
for most people if you get in the car after the ngihts rain you will not see any evidence of the leak.

my advice would be to spend a bit of time in the car when its next pissing down. or get out there asap and have a look.

I had this on one door, never saw any water marks etc but when it was raining and i was in the car one day i could see the seal was leaking.

You say you had a new door, i presume they used the existing trim etc, (ie transfered existing bits to the new door). In which case im 99% certain it will be the seal as they dont take to being removed and then replaced.
I was talking to a dealer a couple of weeks ago about this, they stated that they repair cars every week due to this now that leons are getting older. - But even more sad was seat told then there was no part available for sealing the door and would only pay for them using silicon sealant. whereas a search on here will show you that you can get new sealing trim. (or cord)

andycupra

status subject to change
probably seen this thread: but its got some excellent info / advice:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201189
also:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216

borrowed from another thread:
MORE IMPORTANT
Having bought (AKD 497 010 04R10) 4no x 2.5m seal cord kit in a hexagonal box and a 6 clips (3B0868243), I have managed to seal 4 doors only using only TWO of the cords, ie 5m is all that is needed! DO NOT BUY 4 seal cord AS YOU ONLY NEED 2.

I did not break any clips but did notice that I did need 2 clips as some were missing. It also took me about 45 minutes each door.

I returned the 2no x 2.5m seal cord in the hexagonal box and the 4 door clips to obtain a part refund from VW. Thank you to the local VW garage!

TOTAL COST OF FIX = £16.07 including VAT (2no 2.5m seal cord + 2 door clips.) job done in less than 3 hours and i am complete novice!

Last edited:

sixarm

Jul 24, 2008
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the rapid reply.

You say you had a new door, i presume they used the existing trim etc, (ie transfered existing bits to the new door).

That's absolutely spot on, all the internals were retained. After reading all the reports on the dodgy seals, I was pretty sure that the replacement door sounds like the cause of mine.

Thanks for the links too. I had seen the DIY repair guide, but the other one is also very useful.

It looks like I'll be dismantling my door pretty soon then!

Should I be replacing the seal using replacement parts or simply with some kind of sealant?

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Hi Andy,

That's absolutely spot on, all the internals were retained. After reading all the reports on the dodgy seals, I was pretty sure that the replacement door sounds like the cause of mine.

Thanks for the links too. I had seen the DIY repair guide, but the other one is also very useful.

Should I be replacing the seal using replacement parts or simply with some kind of sealant?

It's completely upto you to be honest. I did mine with silicone sealant in my Toledo about a month ago. I also dried out the carpets using a VAX i borrowed, thanks nan :lol: It seems to be dry as a bone since then. :)

andycupra

status subject to change
Hi Andy,

up to you.

most dealer use sealant. which can work, but its seen as a less reliable option. (my local dealer admitted its a bit of a bodge).

If you do diy it, some on here have not removed stripped the door completly. They have removed the door trim, then loosened (not undone) the door carrier bolts which has allowed them the pull the door carrier away from the door frame enough to gain access to clean / reseal around the bottom 50 of the door. - as the top 50% isnt really the issue.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
if tis not the door seals, check the pollen filter is secure and fitted correctly. its on the passenger side just under the scuttle panel. Open the bonnet and just below the wipers, there is a plastic cover with two screws (if they aren't missing), remove the plastic cover and their should be the pollen filter. I had the same issue with mine just after i bought it. The filter had been replaced but not fitted correctly. This meant water could seap through and get into the footwell of the car.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
My o/s/r door was leaking in through the door, I took the trim panel off, loosened the metal plate that seals the door and also holds the window reg etc and the foam seal was just flaking away in my hands, i just did from about 3 inches from the top of each side, down and round, cleaned it out a bit and put some butyl tape on it, bolted it back up and touch wood thus far its all dry.

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
if tis not the door seals, check the pollen filter is secure and fitted correctly. its on the passenger side just under the scuttle panel. Open the bonnet and just below the wipers, there is a plastic cover with two screws (if they aren't missing), remove the plastic cover and their should be the pollen filter. I had the same issue with mine just after i bought it. The filter had been replaced but not fitted correctly. This meant water could seap through and get into the footwell of the car.

Pollen filter leaks into the passenger footwell not the drivers.

Check to see if the water is coming from around the bonnet pull lever or above the pedals.
If it is it could be either the bulkhead seam not sealed properly or the box where the loom enters the car. This box is sealed to the bulkhead with the same crap foam seal as used on the inner door panels :rolleyes:

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Tiem to start ripping mine apart I think. I did get the odd bit of water in the passenger footwell but I got in the other day and the drivers side was soaked for the first time.

Hopefully some silicone sealent is enough to fix it :p

Not having a nan with a VAX any other suggestions on drying out the footwell? I tried leaving it running with the heaters in max on the floor with the windows open a bit but it made no difference at all :-D

Cat litter? Rice?

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
if you've not already started ripping your door to bits... i've got 2 LCR's, both had leaky doors & i attempted to fix using silicone, this worked on some of the doors but not others - turned out that the ones which didn't work was because the inside of the panel was wet & it won't seal properly if wet. in the end i put some insulation tape accross the outside of my door where it meets the window for a week or two to give it all time to dry out properly, resealed these again yesterday & all seems to have worked!

as for drying your floor - get a towel & spend a few minutes stamping it down onto your carpet, this will take most of the water out then it's a matter of running with your heaters on for a few days, that should do it!

sixarm

Jul 24, 2008
I did the job at the weekend using some silicone sealant so will just have to wait and see if it worked or not. Most of the ancillary panel was pretty well sealed to the door apart from the bottom left corner by the speaker. We didn't fully remove the panel, just left it hanging by two bolts at the top enough to get the sealant behind it. Before applying the sealant we wiped the area dry with some meths, so hopefully the sealant will hold.

If it's unsuccessful I think I'll have to buy the proper roll of seal and do it properly, but fingers crossed it won't come to that.

Once all this snow melts I'll check the carpet and see if any water is getting in. Let's hope not!!

Last edited:

sixarm

Jul 24, 2008
Well, I checked my carpet on Saturday after we had rain on Friday and it was damp again. :(

I'm pretty pissed off about it now. I need to be 100% sure that it's coming in the door and then I guess give it another go at sealing it up.

If it's not the door, where else should I be looking to see where it's coming in?

toptotz

Here's Jonny...
Aug 26, 2007
Blackpool
if you've not already started ripping your door to bits... i've got 2 LCR's, both had leaky doors & i attempted to fix using silicone, this worked on some of the doors but not others - turned out that the ones which didn't work was because the inside of the panel was wet & it won't seal properly if wet. in the end i put some insulation tape accross the outside of my door where it meets the window for a week or two to give it all time to dry out properly, resealed these again yesterday & all seems to have worked!

as for drying your floor - get a towel & spend a few minutes stamping it down onto your carpet, this will take most of the water out then it's a matter of running with your heaters on for a few days, that should do it!

The first attempt on mine didn't work properly either - the silicone wont seal properly if the inside of the door in holding water & is damp! try taping across your windows or taking the hair dryer to it to make sure its's dry - worked for me!;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.