Water methanol injection.

grq

Giggity
Jun 9, 2005
What else can you think of to pump into this poor engine?

Diesel-check
Propane-check
Nos-check
Methanol-check
Water-check

I think thats all the bases covered! :fool:

Hats off to you. :)

I think you could do with a drop of Millars :lol:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
What else can you think of to pump into this poor engine?

Diesel-check
Propane-check
Nos-check
Methanol-check
Water-check

I think thats all the bases covered! :fool:

Hats off to you. :)

I reckon you should be able to shovel some coal in too :D

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
i just fitted water injection to my car all be it it's not a TDI.

I'm running 50% methanol and 50% water and all i can say it that it's one of the best mods Ive done!!! I advanced the timing by 2.25 degree so far and am still getting no timing pull at all on vagcom . Also my intake temps stay below 20oc most of the time.

It,s a very good mod and if first impressions are anything to go by then i would recommend it to anybody

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Just found this on ebay. 25L of methanol for £16 in a container, sounds cheap to me but what do i know? What do most other people pay for pure methanol ? I know you can use screen wash before someone posts it.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Just found this on ebay. 25L of methanol for £16 in a container, sounds cheap to me but what do i know? What do most other people pay for pure methanol ? I know you can use screen wash before someone posts it.

Try some of the speedway sites/tuning, they been using Methanol for years on their brake less bikes !!!!
Sorry devonmikeyboy seems you were looking at the same web site as I had in mind!!!

Last edited:

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
I was looking at buying some of that off ebay but it say bio methanol diesel? :confused:

Is it same as methanol?

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
I was looking at buying some of that off ebay but it say bio methanol diesel? :confused:

Is it same as methanol?

its still methanol and would be ok to use

methanol is used when making bio diesel so i take it thats why the seller has it down as bio methanol diesel

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
[I might be talking utter BS here but here we go,,,]

I seem to remeber that some RC cars [not the ones with electric motors] use methanol as a fuel,,, [???? my short term memory is just as bad as my long term one,,, :( ] and IIRC again, they are diesel engines of some sort since you need at sort of a glow plug to start them and then they run by themselves and don't need spark plugs or whatever, in a very diesel fashioned way,,, [altho they seem to use carbs,,, :confused: ] so that bio-methanol-diesel fuel might be the one used by model cars,,, just a rough guess,,,

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
RC engines run on a fuel called glow fuel which is synthetic oil mixed with methanol not sure what the % of methanol/oil is

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
RC engines run on a fuel called glow fuel which is synthetic oil mixed with methanol not sure what the % of methanol/oil is

Oh joys of my youth !!!!! used to mix ALL my fuels before the UK became safety mad.
Think nothing of going into the local chemist an buying couple of litres of ether, castor oil, methanol and nitromethane for use in my diesel or glow plug engines, the later at 32%oil, 52% methanol and 15% nitromethane - far too expensive for car use!!!

Looked at that US snow web site looks interesting - diesel engines are a tad bigger than our UK types though
Found the european dist.
at :http://www.turbotuning.net/Ref_SeatAlteaTDI.html
Latest prices from the USA SNOW PERFORMANCE for 1.9/2.0 VW are "The kits for the VWs are usually $469. Our buy in to get a discount is 10 kits, then you get 25% off, which would be a price of $351.75 on that kit" pluss import duty etc. ..................

Last edited:

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
Sorry to nudge this oldish thread back into life but are you going to go for the aquamist mike?

The main reason I'm considering it is to lower EGTs, they are definitely going to be higher with the propane injection.

Also I'm still interested in the difference between the Powershot (UK) and Powershot 2000 (US) versions, having spoken with Chris (Powershot UK/PI Fuel Systems) recently the UK system is only adjustable overall and auto-adjusts the rest, whereas the US one is boost-driven so it is a fair bit different in operation in that side of things.

I am still considering the other options but my insurance company may decide against it ;)

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Sorry to nudge this oldish thread back into life but are you going to go for the aquamist mike?

The main reason I'm considering it is to lower EGTs, they are definitely going to be higher with the propane injection.

Also I'm still interested in the difference between the Powershot (UK) and Powershot 2000 (US) versions, having spoken with Chris (Powershot UK/PI Fuel Systems) recently the UK system is only adjustable overall and auto-adjusts the rest, whereas the US one is boost-driven so it is a fair bit different in operation in that side of things.

I am still considering the other options but my insurance company may decide against it ;)

Strangely i reread this thread just yesterday myself. Yes i am still seriously considering water/methanol injection. With diesel/propane/NOS running on my car plus a bit of hard driving my EGT temp max out at about 900 C which is ok but i would prefer to keep it lower if possible plus i still have more mods to do to the engine for more power yet which will raise EGT temp. Just worried about the water freezing or something going wrong etc.
When it come to the two propane kits get the kit from Chris you will not regret it. I think the evidence for this is the me and Jason ( Devoneutopia ) both had the same sort of engine and mods, Jason got no performance gain at all but with the kit from Chris it made an instant 17bhp hike and i did have my Cupra running 265bhp but the propane had raised the peak boost over a safe level for the VT2 that i had fitted. I was waiting to go back to Allards to get the boost lowered on my map so i could run more propane but i sort of rolled my car. The US powershot system is not EU insurance approved either so no insurance company will touch you with it if you tell them you have it fitted or if you fit it and don`t tell them and they find out about it you insurance will be void. The US kit is only for off road use in the EU. Chris is a great bloke who really went out of his way to help Allards get the kit retro fitted and is always helpful to me when i phone him.

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
Hya :)

On mine there was definitely a performance increase with propane (but then I only have a phase 1 remap which is hardly pushing the Forge FMIC, stage 2 hybrid etc). Having seen what proper overheating can do to my engine (check out the threads on Briskoda.net for that ;)) there is lots of potential left.

As you say, Chris was very helpful in putting my mind back at rest after my engine disaster(s) but I am very concerned about the EGT side of things.

I do like the fact that the Powershot starts to 'gas' low down, which appears to be helping the turbo spool up a lot smoother/more quickly.

Not quite sure what spec the VT2/VT5 are compared to the stage 2 Turbodynamics one, but we'll see what happens :)

Did you get the RR tuning done at Allard, out of interest?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
First of tuned using the good old butt dyno technique then went to Power station then Interpro. Still not set up 100% properly as the turbo manifold gasket started to blow when i was at Interpro which is why i have no dyno printout with Nos running plus i cannot get to the Awesome RR day again.

Triple D

900 degrees EGT :-o holy fook mate, i got mine at 630 the other week, and that is the highest i have ever had them. How the hell did you get them that high?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.