Water methanol injection.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
900 degrees EGT :-o holy fook mate, i got mine at 630 the other week, and that is the highest i have ever had them. How the hell did you get them that high?

900 C is OK as the VT5 on Lloyds race car runs at 1200 C for the last two years with no problems.

I guess that the lpg is playin a big part in this,,,

only in the fact that using lpg i am getting more power from a small block. If i used bigger injectors to get the same power the EGT would still rise alot. Bigger the burn in the cyclinder more heat is going to be produced. I could be wrong though but thats how i see it.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
So using NOS and lpg, as opposed to more diesel will actually reduce EGTs? :D Nice. How is the nos injected into the system? In a similar way to the lpg or directly into the engine somehow?

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
1200 C or 1200F - I reckon 1200C would not last very long?

Combining it with NOS should be interesting but my problem would be the practicality of it - I cant fit a nitrous in the boot as it would use my valuable boot space + if family expansion does happen SWMBO would kill me ;)

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
So using NOS and lpg, as opposed to more diesel will actually reduce EGTs? :D Nice. How is the nos injected into the system? In a similar way to the lpg or directly into the engine somehow?

No mate. What i meant was no matter if i used bigger injectors and no propane or standard injectors and propane the EGT temps are going to rise as both are fuels and all i am trying to do is get a bigger burn in the cylinder to make more power. Bigger the burn higher the power but also higher the EGT.
NOS is a standard Wizard of NOS system diesel kit injected into where the EGR system used to be that works when the engine hits 20psi. At the moment i am running 75bhp nozzles but i have 25,50,75,100,125 and 150 bhp jets to play with. The 25 and 50 bhp jet didn`t make much difference as the VT5 was pushing plenty of air into the engine since all possible restrictions have been removed and the head has been flowed and ported.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Yes, injecting more diesel will rise the temps,,, but using a small amount [talking mass here] of lpg will raise the temps way more than a substantially bigger amout of diesel since IIRC propane has a way higher enthalpy [heat content] compared to diesel,,,

devonmikeyboy said:
Bigger the burn higher the power but also higher the EGT

yes, bigger the burn [heat] higher the power but what happens if you put water into the engine and lower the temps then?
[HINT: low temps and thermodinamic cycles = :no: ]

BTW, have you got some pics of the head when it was flowed and ported?

Oh, and when you switch on the propane, i'd suggest you play some track by the band in my sig :hide:,,, always good for spirited driving,,,

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
I had the car running on diesel/propane/75bhp NOS for two weeks no problems but the turbo manifold gasket has started to blow. Might need stronger engine mounts if it happens again. Water/methonel would only be sprayed in at a set temp to try and keep the EGT down below 800 C i guess. Still just toying with the idea.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Forgot to say i never got any pictures of the flowed head, i did ask but Allards forgot to do it before fitting the head but the head is comming off again soon and still got the standard head so i will try to get some pictures for you mate.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Mike,

Dungeoness Power station is shutting down soon, so i hear they have a bit of Plutonium hanging about on the cheap, Sure you can plumb it in somewhere........lol

Have you looked at the Piezo injectors or are they to delicate, ( i know they are bloody expensive too)

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Mike,

Dungeoness Power station is shutting down soon, so i hear they have a bit of Plutonium hanging about on the cheap, Sure you can plumb it in somewhere........lol

Have you looked at the Piezo injectors or are they to delicate, ( i know they are bloody expensive too)

Still waiting for my custom injectors to be made mate but getting really pissed off with the company as they where meant to be delivered over three months ago now so trying to find another company to do them which means buying another OEM set of injectors plus i have had to pay development money to the first company to get them to make a rig to enlarge the the injectors i sent them [:@] .

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
I must ask my tuners about the aquamist stuff when I go there, I have a feeling I will get mine tuned properly on derv only first, then fill up propane and get them to tweak the tuning to make sure it doesn't overdo the boost too badly.

Once I've got my EGR sensor in place I'll then monitor it for a bit. If they say it's worth aquamisting it to gain more power, I'll get that fitted too.

It ought to work, but it is just less proven on a small PD engine so it seems :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members