water pump?

lcrb

Aug 4, 2008
lanarkshire
I'm getting a service in few days which includes the water pump so question is
do i go with the metal one or stick ith the plastic one?
I've been told the plastic is better because if the bearing of pump colapses then the plastic impeller will break up where as the metal one will start breaking other things

andylcr

Aug 6, 2009
Berks
I am having a full service on Wednesday with cam belt change and water pump too.

Everyone has mentioned to get a metal impeller instead of plastic. How long would a plastic one last before you would expect it to start deteriorating? The reason I ask is because i will probably be selling the car in around 2 years by which time I will have probably only have done 15-20k miles.

If the plastic one is fine for that period I will just go with plastic as I have been quoted an additional £65 for the metal one.

Any ideas?

andylcr

Aug 6, 2009
Berks
fair do's. i would do the same if i could put money is a bit tight at the mo so hoping i can get away with a plastic one. but just want to know that it will see me through 20k miles really.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
you can get metal ones for little more than a plastic impellor one, as for the metal one causing damage if the bearing fails!?! Almost unheard of to be honest. The only fault with the plastic one is that the impellor cracked and fell to pieces or just fell off the spindle. The metal ones tend to be welded on so there is no chance of it becoming detatched.

Dec 19, 2006
was told that the plastic impellors had been changed to a more durable plastic as i asked for a metal one and the seat dealership said they'd fit a plastic one as the metal one causes more problems if it comes off and that was two years ago now and 20,000 miles on and the plastic one is still going, fingers crossed touching lots of wood lol

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
How can a metal one break? The only fault with a metal impella is they can spin on the shaft sometimes due to poor build quality. If the bearing goes in pastic or metal chances are its bye bye timing belt. Everything has a life span, you could get a plastic one that will do 120k, or one that does 2k.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
was told that the plastic impellors had been changed to a more durable plastic as i asked for a metal one and the seat dealership said they'd fit a plastic one as the metal one causes more problems if it comes off and that was two years ago now and 20,000 miles on and the plastic one is still going, fingers crossed touching lots of wood lol

I replaced mine with a plastic, but I had a seat warranty at the time. Tbh it seems to be luck of the draw anyway although likelihood is the metal one is likely to last longer.

When I enquired for mine, only one's available were the Seat plastic one, or another co who bought the seat ones but then refitted a metal impellor. GSF didn't even have any on their system according to the 2 places I rang.

Seat dealership told me when I enquired they didnt do metal ones but could get hold of them.

Seat will also give you a rebate on your pump if you buy from them.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members