water temp warning light

karlosthejackal

Hi
recently had water pump and cambelt changed on my 2001 leon cupra, due to water pump failure.:cry:
Just been out to fill it up with petrol ready for the drive to wembley in the morning, about 30 seconds after leaving the petrol station, the warning buzzer sounded and the light on the temp guage was flashing. The temp reading was normal, so at the first opportunity I pulled over switched off the engine to take a look under the bonnet, all seemed ok. When I turned the engine back on the warning light stayed off and I drove the 4 miles home with no trouble.
When I got home the wife said that this had happened one day last week but thought nothing of it.
Due to the fact that I am working away I have had little time to drive the car and I am now concerned about driving it 150 miles in the morning.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it anything worry about?:(

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
It's your low fluid level warning. If your fluid isn't low, the sensor may be borked ()common fault), or (like mine) you can just clean the scale off the two sensor "rods" in the coolnt expansion tank.

Give them a gentle scrape with a small screw driver - you might feel the scale coming off.

karlosthejackal

Cheers
will try this now and let you know how I get on:)

karlosthejackal

Opened the expansion tank and gave the sensor probes a gentle scrape, can't really say I felt like I actually scraped any limescale off, but hope this has sorted the problem.
Do you think it would have anything to do with me having a new waterpump fitted, or is it just a coincidence?
Am I right in thinking it should be ok to drive as long as the temp guage reads normal ?

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Yeah, this happened on mine too, as Phil says, if the temperature indicated is normal, its to warn of low coolant levels.

When mine warned of it, it only needed a small amount to top it up, never done it since. HTH.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise