Wax Over Supaguard

LJGSG

Looking for some info from the top detailers,

My candy white leon fr tdi was treated with supaguard by dealer,
not impressed and was wondering if i could go and put some decent wax on top of it?

Any info would be great , best wax etc.......

top colour candy white and want to make the most of it come spring:D:p

mattbeef

Apr 10, 2007
Sheffield
i wouldnt bother tbh mate.
Mum's was supaguarded and i thought that id do a test patch of Zymöl Titanium on the bonnet and it made no real difference.

Daffy

Detail Wizard
May 29, 2007
i wouldnt bother tbh mate.
Mum's was supaguarded and i thought that id do a test patch of Zymöl Titanium on the bonnet and it made no real difference.

It won't make a difference unless you prep it right you need to get rid of the supaguard..

Strip the supaguard off and then clay followed by a good glaze and then a durable LSP like JetSeal 109 or Zaino.

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Using the supplied AutoGlym Super Resin Polish will, over time remove the Supaguard. That is why they included the AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection which is pretty much the same as the Supaguard they applied in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with Supaguard other than the big wedge of cash you stumped up for it and the claims that it lasts xx years. Most people think that they never have to polish / wax their car again which is one reason why it gets a rough ride.

The other reason it gets slated is that there are better paint sealants around, as Daffy mentions, but that doesn't mean to say that you have to remove the Supaguard... It will do the job, just won't be as durable as some other products on the market. I would keep with AutoGlym until you have used up the Extra Gloss Protection.

How long since the car was treated? You can put wax straight on top of the Supaguard - you don't necessarily need to take it off but I would clay your car if it is more than a month since the Supaguard was applied - but then use SRP + EGP again... Before you wax it.

So in short:

1) Supaguard is expensive and not as good as some of the other products around, however since you have invested (heavily) in this product, you might as well use it until it runs out - then seek a better alternative...

2) Clay your car if it is more than a month since the Supaguard was applied, then use the Super Resin Polish, then the Extra Gloss Protection then put a good (hard) wax on - and I'm not talking Turtlewax from Halfrauds! The Dodo Juice range are good. Zymol are also very good. P21S is excellent but lasts about a week... ;)

I applied Super Resin Polish with a machine polisher, then Extra Gloss Protection followed by Dodo Juice Blue Velvet about 3 months ago and water is still beading... I used the AutoGlym products as I had them already - next time I will be using a better product. Like Jet Seal 109.

See here for pics of my car and a detail of a Candy White... http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147805

Of course if money is no object then bin the AutoGlym stuff and do what Daffy says!

hth,

fM

Last edited:

LJGSG

CHEERS FOR THE ADVICE:D

AS I GOT THE SUPAGUARD AS A DEAL CLINCHER I DONT FEEL TOO BAD,
ALTHOUGH I DIDNT KNOW IT GOT AS BAD A PRESS UNTIL I STARTED READING IN SCN:cry:

WOULD HAVE RATHER TAKEN TANK OF DIESEL AND MATS;)

cupra240

Re: help

Hi,

Im a salesman for SEAT in chesterfield i suggest you contact supagard if there is a problem with your paint work as it is guaranteed for 3 years.

regards

Alex Walker
Autoworld (chesterfield)
Seat Sales

Looking for some info from the top detailers,

My candy white leon fr tdi was treated with supaguard by dealer,
not impressed and was wondering if i could go and put some decent wax on top of it?

Any info would be great , best wax etc.......

top colour candy white and want to make the most of it come spring:D:p

Graham123

May 13, 2007
I also have Candy FR, and, like Flakmonkey I didn't (and wouldn't) buy Supagard. I've had it before on Bikes and Cars and it's over-rated and over-expensive imho.

Gave mine a good wash, and clay when first bought and then treat with Carlack 68 which is a chemical cleaner and sealant (and will get rid of supagard - I've cleaned my supagarded bike with it since and re-did it with this stuff) Awesome stuff, and less than a tenner to buy, and a doddle to use. Topped off with Collinite 845 and 3-4 months later it still looks spot on.

Candy White is a tough colour to make stand out because it's flat - the best you can hope for a deep 'clean' look. My mate did his Zenith Grey FR with the same products and I nearly fell over when I saw it - it was such a deep gloss I needed sunglasses.

AND, because of the above treatment it's a doddle to keep clean - quick wash most weekends and the jobs done, no faffing about required.

Some piccy's here.....http://grahamgreen.fotopic.net/c1385922.html

mattbeef

Apr 10, 2007
Sheffield
It won't make a difference unless you prep it right you need to get rid of the supaguard..

Strip the supaguard off and then clay followed by a good glaze and then a durable LSP like JetSeal 109 or Zaino.

Yea i know that mate, spend plenty of time on DW reading what products i cant afford :cartman:

Im working my way on getting the old dear to let me loose at it with the UDM

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
Stupid question but how do you apply the clay to the car, any choice of shampoo to wash the car with first?

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Stupid question but how do you apply the clay to the car, any choice of shampoo to wash the car with first?

Best way to do it is in small patches. Use Quick Detailer to spray on the area you are claying and then use the clay over that area (always knead the clay about and keep it warm) Repeat till the whole car is done. Always make sure that the clay and the area you are working on is well lubricated with QD.
Also if you drop the clay bar...that is it gone...throw it in the bin. Never used it again as it would of picked up the dirt from the ground and you really don't want that touching your car.
As for shampoo I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss. Smells nice too! :D
There is plenty of information on the Detailing part of the forum as well as on another site (detailing world)
Alex

big davey

Best way to do it is in small patches. Use Quick Detailer to spray on the area you are claying and then use the clay over that area (always knead the clay about and keep it warm) Repeat till the whole car is done. Always make sure that the clay and the area you are working on is well lubricated with QD.
Also if you drop the clay bar...that is it gone...throw it in the bin. Never used it again as it would of picked up the dirt from the ground and you really don't want that touching your car.
As for shampoo I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss. Smells nice too! :D
There is plenty of information on the Detailing part of the forum as well as on another site (detailing world)
Alex

whats the purpose of using the clay, what does it do?

big davey

i have touched up a few stone chips on my bonnet, these are failrly visible. if i go over my bonnet with the clay block will it smooth them over?:confused:

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Try this product for removing 'blobs' of touch up... http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail....CatID=34&FrostCat=Painting&FrostSubcat=Others

Results can range from crap to v. good. It basically works because the touch-up paint isn't as hard as the original paint so this product will thin the touch-up, removing it... Idea is that you leave some in the chip... This is, as far as I know, the only UK supplier.

It will also work on blobs that have been painted on a few weeks... I used it on my Azure Blue 350z in a very deep scratch, it wasn't perfect but it was better than either the scratch with no touch up or the scratch with touch up. If that makes sense.

Last edited:

big davey

oh rite. do u know of a good wax that might help prevent stonechips?

(would you be able to send them pics over please?)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.