Coolant and heating issues

May 4, 2023
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this post. I seem to be having a similar issue and am in need of some advice.

My blowers (internal car fans) aren't working at all. I get no air out of the fans. I'm aware it's due to a blocked heater matrix and a few parts need replacing. I'm getting silly quotes of £1500-£1800. I think they may be taking advantage of me being a single female who doesn't understand cars much.

I want to get the expansion tank and a new heater matrix changed and any clogged pipes replaced and then the system flushed. Does anyone have a list of the parts a garage will need? I just want to make sure they're not ordering parts I won't need and doing work beyond that which I've requested.

(I have a 2013 Seat Leon S TDI)

Thank you.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this post. I seem to be having a similar issue and am in need of some advice.

My blowers (internal car fans) aren't working at all. I get no air out of the fans. I'm aware it's due to a blocked heater matrix and a few parts need replacing. I'm getting silly quotes of £1500-£1800. I think they may be taking advantage of me being a single female who doesn't understand cars much.

I want to get the expansion tank and a new heater matrix changed and any clogged pipes replaced and then the system flushed. Does anyone have a list of the parts a garage will need? I just want to make sure they're not ordering parts I won't need and doing work beyond that which I've requested.

(I have a 2013 Seat Leon S TDI)

Thank you.

If your fan is not even blowing air, that is not down to the heater matrix. The matrix is effectively a little radiator that warms the air when requested. The fan provides the air. The air blower/fan is under your glove box. I'd try to get that working before you look at the matrix. It could just be a fuse or connection.

Ref the parts and cost for the matrix. You need the matrix c.£80 and an expansion tank c.£40. You shouldn't need to replace any other pipes.

SEAT quote about £1300 as their service schedule says 8 hours as they remove the dash. If you find someone who is handy with tools, you can do the DIY fix in 2 hours and the cost of parts. It cost me £120 and 2-3 hours of my time. If you can find someone who can do it, it will save you loads of money.

This is a guide I wrote based on info from this forum and my own experience changing my matrix. I'm not saying that you do it, just find someone who can!

Attachments

• SEAT Leon TDi Heater Matrix replacement.pdf
    539.7 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Walone and Sammie
May 4, 2023
If your fan is not even blowing air, that is not down to the heater matrix. The matrix is effectively a little radiator that warms the air when requested. The fan provides the air. The air blower/fan is under your glove box. I'd try to get that working before you look at the matrix. It could just be a fuse or connection.

Ref the parts and cost for the matrix. You need the matrix c.£80 and an expansion tank c.£40. You shouldn't need to replace any other pipes.

SEAT quote about £1300 as their service schedule says 8 hours as they remove the dash. If you find someone who is handy with tools, you can do the DIY fix in 2 hours and the cost of parts. It cost me £120 and 2-3 hours of my time. If you can find someone who can do it, it will save you loads of money.

This is a guide I wrote based on info from this forum and my own experience changing my matrix. I'm not saying that you do it, just find someone who can!
Sorry, I should’ve made it clear that I get no hot air out the vents inside the car. All I get is cold air (despite being on the hot setting).

Is it still a blocked matrix issue?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Sorry, I should’ve made it clear that I get no hot air out the vents inside the car. All I get is cold air (despite being on the hot setting).

Is it still a blocked matrix issue?
If you're fan is working but just blowing cold air, even on hot, then it could well be your matrix.

If you find a local reliable mechanic they should easily be able to do the DIY fix and save some £££'s.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.