Weird Ariel Thing

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Tracked down the source of radio reception problems -
The arial base has a small printed circuit board inside - several of the micro capicitors had corroded. Solution - bypass the circuit board with bit of soldered wire! Works perfectly.
I cannot see why it is needed or how the circuit board helps. It can't be an amplifier since there is no power source and basic physics - you can't get more out than you put in.
If its a filter ciurcuit it will sap alot of signal since there are several dozens dozen components on it.
Can any one enlighten?

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
You mean the power supply is fed up the ariel lead? How? i couldn't find a 12v supply anywhere with multimeter and there are only 2 wires in the connector - the earth and signal output.

bazmac28

Jun 18, 2010
Glasgow Scotland
Ariel

According to Seat manual there are 3 different types of ariel . there is 1 for radio alone . 1 for the system with telephone , and 1 for the system with telephone and satnav . None of these show a power lead just the leads for the sepperate systems . Hope this helps Barry

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
As far as I know the DC power for the amplifier is supplied from the radio itself using the co-ax cable centre conductor for the positive and the co-ax screen for the negative or earth

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
As far as I know the DC power for the amplifier is supplied from the radio itself using the co-ax cable centre conductor for the positive and the co-ax screen for the negative or earth

Yeah this is why if you change to an aftermarket headunit you need to fit an aerial amplifier at the headunit end.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.