I'll make a radio work in this car if it's the last thing I do.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
When I bought the car, someone had lopped the original connector off and the sh1tty radio was connected by twisted wire - and no rear speakers working /wired.

It's progressed a bit since then. New radio, bluetooth phone pairing, rear speakers work - and yesterday I patiently soldered an ISO connector onto the loom connections. Radio reception still not great though. (Yes Damo, I did put a proper connector on the end of the aerial lead)

During the course of fiddling, I disconnected the radio amplifier from the aerial lead and found it made f***-all difference! The amplifier was doing all the work, the car aerial/lead was doing nothing. :censored:

So, has anyone replaced the aerial base and lead on a Mk2. I can't find it on Vag-Cat...

I assume it goes under the headlining and down the driver A pillar. (any reason why I couldn't route a new one down the passenger a pillar? )

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i have a feeling it comes down one of the b pillars for some reason - might be as sunroof goes down the a pillars - might be different if no sunnroof

In Etka = Main group - 0 / Sub Group - 35 / Illustration - 35.00

mind you there is no diagram on the page to see

i have always replaced em by folding seats down and going through the rear of the headlining but it's iffy for folds and creases

in Vagcat :

Select car model year etc

then 1st menu - accessories

then Page: ENGINE/GEARBOX ASSY SKID PLATE / / / / / / otto engine: / 1.8/2.0L; / 1.6L,1F,AFT / diesel eng.: / 1.7/1.9L

once you see the page

Next illustration »»

Page: FOR WARRANTY ACCOUNTING / ENGINE OIL / GEAR BOX OIL / REFRIGERANT / LACQUERS

Next illustration »»

Page: AERIAL / LOUDSPEAKER [B)]

Last edited:

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
i had the same problem with my 8v all i did was replace the base and ariel and it worked great even without one of them ariel boosters(these have never worked on my seats all 4 of them)
iirc we took off the edging plastics through the boot and just lowered the headlining (being carefull not to actually bend it or it'll crease) pushed my hand in then just changed it over

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
My radio signal is crap too, I was looking at one of those internal mounted ones with an am and cleaning the base off the roof all together.
Please do a bit of a how too when you do it, as I'd like to have a go too. :D

Ollie

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Don't the bee-sting aerials come with an integrated amplifier in the base? Maybe they don't from standard, but I bought one from GTI international some years ago with an amp in the base and a blue power lead which was integrated with the aerial cable.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Don't the bee-sting aerials come with an integrated amplifier in the base? Maybe they don't from standard, but I bought one from GTI international some years ago with an amp in the base and a blue power lead which was integrated with the aerial cable.

I think the original ones did before VAG started putting the ariel amp bits into the head unit. I still have an amplified one sat in my garage bought from Inters over 15 years ago!!!

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
When I bought the car, someone had lopped the original connector off and the sh1tty radio was connected by twisted wire - and no rear speakers working /wired.

It's progressed a bit since then. New radio, bluetooth phone pairing, rear speakers work - and yesterday I patiently soldered an ISO connector onto the loom connections. Radio reception still not great though. (Yes Damo, I did put a proper connector on the end of the aerial lead)

During the course of fiddling, I disconnected the radio amplifier from the aerial lead and found it made f***-all difference! The amplifier was doing all the work, the car aerial/lead was doing nothing. :censored:

So, has anyone replaced the aerial base and lead on a Mk2. I can't find it on Vag-Cat...

I assume it goes under the headlining and down the driver A pillar. (any reason why I couldn't route a new one down the passenger a pillar? )

Did you happen to notice what colour the ignition wire was on the loom?? I know its either yellow or red but I dont know which one exactly.

I think its red going by the haynes manual. :confused:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
The ariel on the roof has an amplifier built into the base, mine failed on my old gti, replace it and hey presto your away. The rubber perishes and water soaks into it along with other things and it gets ruined.

FM will be great but AM's never been good in any of mine

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Did you happen to notice what colour the ignition wire was on the loom?? I know its either yellow or red but I dont know which one exactly.

I think its red going by the haynes manual. :confused:

I've got the red iso onto the loom blue/green and the yellow onto the red. (I think) I'll check at the weekend again.

:whistle: :lol:

New aerial lead and base should do the trick, Dave.

If you need a hand mate just give me a shout.

Cheers Damien!

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Not a massive help to you but....

i had a auto electrics place install a new head unit for me tonight and it took the guy 30 minutes just to sort out the pervious owners bodge jobs on the alarm, head unit and bluetooth....I think some people just fancy them selves as knowing what to do.

i know i know jack all so get someone who does to do it.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
you can get an aerial from halfords which is exactly the same as the original SEAT one i think it was only a tenner or something.

either way ive still never managed to have a decent radio reception with anything but the standard head unit
What, a mast base and long lead?
yea the full lot and it comes with like a 5m length of cable

:no: No luck - I asked - they only do universal front mounts :(

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise