Weird Problem - FRTDI

craigomills

Candy White FR TDI 170
Mar 31, 2005
Derby
Just had my FR 170 TDI serviced at 20,000 miles and now for some reason my fuel economy is appalling.
Where I was getting 42+ I am now getting 30-32.

Any ideas what the stealers have done to my car???

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Just had my FR 170 TDI serviced at 20,000 miles and now for some reason my fuel economy is appalling.

No idea mate , but my car comes out worse from the stealers than it went in
good luck .

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
I've never got anywhere near 42 let alone over, I'm averaging 28mpg (yes it's a diesel), mine's going in tomorrow to hopefully get some answers.... if there is anything that comes of it i'll let you know.

wish i'd just got the cupra really if thats the mpg i'll be getting.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
tbh i'd doubt they have done anything, a 20k service is pretty small. I wonder if its stuck trying to regenerate and thus using more fuel.

craigomills

Candy White FR TDI 170
Mar 31, 2005
Derby
tbh i'd doubt they have done anything, a 20k service is pretty small. I wonder if its stuck trying to regenerate and thus using more fuel.

Not too sure, I have never had the DPF light come on and so far (touch wood) I have had no problems with it...

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
I've just had issues with mine, thought it was the pressure sensor, so replaced that, but DPF light kept coming on, it even came on after a 130 mile motorway run (at speed mostly) , so I knew it was hot enough to regenerate.

Had in in the dealers yesterday for another look at, they did an ECU software update, which aparently was the reason for my problems.

Mpg really dropped over the last few weeks, I got an average of 48.9mpg on my drive home, before it Would have been less than 40mpg

we'll see if that's the cure, I hope so, I've only got 5k til the warranty expires

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I've done a few of them recently Jace, I think you could be right tbh.

The light won't come on if its trying to regen and working, it only comes on if 5 regen attempts fail. However regen doesnt happen at speed as such, optium rpm I have found is 2,200rpm, after 3,000rpm it cuts out anyhow. Needs to be over 50kmh to kick in.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
mine was about 37-40mpg and now doing about 32mpg. The car has done about 36k and the

DPF regeneration cycle comes on more frequently now. But for me most of my lack of mpg

is down to my driving. I'm now less inclined to keeping tabs on my MPG gauge and also

giving the throttle pedal a few more beans than before. Under sensible driving i can still get

39+mpg in town, but it takes too much effort to keeping driving like a OAP. I'll be getting a

DPF delete soon and i'll go back to eco mode and see how much mpg i'll get then.

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield

I have had the same at 30K and 40K services. I Noticed a drop from 40mpg+ to around 32mpg+ for around 500 miles, and very low for short runs, but on both occasions, mpg has then increased significantly after a couple of weeks.

Todays trip to chesterfield I managed 46mpg average, yet a similar trip just after the 40K service was only 35mpg.

Could it be part of the engine management, following a service, ie runs richer for some reason?

Mike
57FR170, Still loving the car and not planning to change....!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK

There has been a ECU s/w upgrade but I have no idea what that covered [ mine was done at 40k service] and mpg has'nt been that good!?!? perhap we have a seat techi here who can give us some lead?? VW /audi may have had a similar upgrade with similar results??. .........................................

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
A lot of people on here seem to get their MK2 TDI FR's back from a service and have regeneration problems. I wonder what they are doing to them? Are they doing something that forces a regen that then doesn't complete due to the driving habits of the owner?

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
I've never had mine serviced at a main dealer, I just take it there for warranty, so maybe I should had Been upgraded with ecu SW.

It's only been driven home since tuesday & been sat in the garage. I'll be racking some miles up over the weekend, so I'll keep an eye on the mpg.

Setting #2 is currently @ 41.8mpg over the last 5678 miles.

Wai8

Mine's got 33K miles and my last tank worked out as 33mpg, not exactly the best, but I do have a heavy foot!lol

sianba

This may be well off mark, but i to was getting 40mpg when driving steady but lately notice it at 32,34mpg then i realise it was set on number 2 and not number 1 and if im right number 2 is average you use whilst number 1 is from your current trip.

Any way pressed the tab button on stick so it changed back to number 1 and back to my 40mpg per trip, so dont know if any one else done the same and looking at wrong info?

Si

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
^ makes a little more sense then, setting two is your average MPG since you last reset the trip meter, and setting one is your current trip.

I think we all need to ease off the throttle a little seeing as on motorway journeys I will see 31-32 mpg.

craigomills

Candy White FR TDI 170
Mar 31, 2005
Derby
Just done a 500 mile round trip to Wales. Motorway most of the way doing 75ish - 39mpg.

Whats the point having a diesel if you have to drive it like a fanny to be economical?

burnsy_b

FR 170 AKA THE CLANKS
Apr 25, 2009
LEEDS W YORKS
Just done a 500 mile round trip to Wales. Motorway most of the way doing 75ish - 39mpg.

Whats the point having a diesel if you have to drive it like a fanny to be economical?

thats absolute pants i drive from leeds to liverpool from time to time and i can easily see into the 50mpg. an i have the fr170 too. id be checking my diesel filter if i was you craig. make sure its bin changed. when i had mine last serviced the stealers claimed to have changed my air an diesel filters but when i checked for myself they were blacker than my car. so i no longer trust em.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
. when i had mine last serviced the stealers claimed to have changed my air an diesel filters but when i checked for myself they were blacker than my car. so i no longer trust em.

How did you check the fuel filter? As the seal really needs to needs to be replaced everytime and are you sure they didnt change the pollen filter (which is listed as air filter on some invoices) rather than the air filter as thats every 60k on some models.

tom1362

fuel filter would effect MPG, but a constantly recurring regen would guzzle the tank altogether. Hook it up to VCDS and looka the the Soot loads , anything above 5-7% will induce a regen, do a forced regen and this might calm the DPF down

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.