What an Improvement to my MPG !!

Wheely

Nov 19, 2003
The Sou' West
Visit site
The following information is not endorsed and cannot be recommended to anyone. But hey it was an accident and it worked for me !!!

About a year ago I had a moan on here that my Leon Cupra TDi's mpg had fallen by around 4-5 mpg. I simply couldnt get back to the same numbers on my way to work etc etc. It was almost an overnight change and happened after 4 new tyres (F1s), a full tank of supermarket fuel and my first ever dose of Millers. Although things improved a little when the cold winter was over, it has never got back to where it was. I never used the Millers again and havent used supermarket fuel since !!!!

Now on the 27th Dec I was due a 40k service. Popped it into my local Seat dealer (well went to County at Newton Abbot as who'd use Plymouth Seat !!) - they rang me after 20 minutes to tell me the coolant was contaminated with oil !!! oh pants. They had no free time to investigate so took to a local independant audi/seat/vw garage who diagnosed a common issue - the oil cooler. So 400 quid later they had this replaced and did the 40k service. They also flushed out the coolant system as best possible.

A few weeks later, and not unexpectingly the old contaminagted oil was still being lifted out of the coolant system and expansion tank looking not so good. Rang Phil Davies and they were very helpful and assured me this is normal after such a big issue and probably needs another good flush - they recomended dishwasher tablets (not far from the washing powder already recommended on here). And to save 60 quid plus of labour, I decided to do it myself !!!

Eventually got to the bottom hose and drained. Refilled with water, added my 2 tabs and went for the 20 mile or so drive they recommended. It was along a dual carriage way and back, and car seemed hesitant, even with cruise on. Turned around after about 10 miles, and things seemed still a little bad on way back. Got near home, and decided to give it a good blast to see how she went. Revs 1500.....2000.....2500....3000 and then an almighty BANG !!! and big cloud of smoke behind. Oh feck !!! I'm blown my friggin engine !!! Well the car would not spin up the turbo, wouldnt rev about 1500 and I limped a mile back home. Got under the ar to find my intercooler hose had blown off because I'd put a clip round the wrong way and it hadnt locked the hose correctly into the intercooler. I crossed my fingers, commenced another coolant flush and then reassembled again. Started it up and all normal. Finished day with another flush and a complete coolnt change.

Driving after this episode the car feels a lot smoother. It didnt feel rough before but the smoothness is more noticable. And to add to the joys of all this, I had a 'normal' (not grandad) drive home from work this eve, checked the fuel computer and for the first time ever its back where it was late 2006. Oh joy and thanks.

Cant believe what i thought was a disaster has turned out so sweet. Dont know if maybe I had partial blockage in intercooler line or have cleared out turbo - but all appears very well that ends well. :funk:

And to re-iterate my top message, I cannot endorse you blowing off your hoses to re-gain that mpg that some of you have lost.

MARK

sssstew

Editing your spelling
hehe nice one Mark, glad youve managed to sort that one out. the oil coolers do go but are cheap to buy and replace for a home mechanic. Flushing out the coolant with a specific cleaner is needed to remove the traces of oil in the system else it wont cool effectivly, the dishwasher tab is a common cheap way of doing it at home and usually has good results.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Oddly enough my car told me I did 80mpg on my way to work this morning. Not sure if it had something to do with the hole in the vacuum pipework found last night, which had meant my car was in limp mode for 48 hours? It seemed to relish the drive to work this morning and returned great economy. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.