What are you using...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
My current (basic) setup is as follows...

Full Clean

Bodywork

Water rinse
Autobrite Citrus Pre Wash
Water Rinse
Auto Finesse Avalanche snow foam
Water rinse
Autoglym Shampoo and Conditioner
Water rinse
Autobrite Purple Rain
Water Rinse
Dry using 1200gsm Microfibre towel
Autobrite Wax off
Water Rinse
Autoglym Clay Bar with Autoglym Rapid Detailer
Auto Finesse Ultra Glaze
Autobrite brilliance
Auto Finesse Triple B
Auto Finesse hard coat
Meguires Liquid Wax
Collenite 845 liquid wax

Autoglym Fast glass
Autobrite crystal glass
Autoglym Rubber care
Meguires Ultimate Black (Scuttle)

Wheels

Water Rinse
Autoglym Shampoo and conditioner
Water rinse
Autobrite Purple Rain
Water rinse
Autobrite bright gel
Water rinse
Poor boys sealant x3 coats

Interior

Autoglym Leather care balm
Autoglym Leather cleaner
Autoglym rubber care
Meguires Ultimate black
Autoglym Fast Glass

Pads/Towels

Meguires microfibre buffing pads
eBay applicator pads
Meguires microfibre towel
Autoglym microfibre towel
Random 40x microfibre cloths (800gsm)
1200gsm mini reaper towel
1200gsm monkey towel
1200gsm drying towel x2

Quick Clean

Water rinse
Auto Finesse Avalanche snow foam
Water rinse
Autoglym Shampoo and Conditioner
Water rinse
Dry using 1200gsm microfibre
Either Meguires Detailer or Autoglym Rapid detailer
Maybe Wax top up

Autoglym Fast Glass
Autoglym Rubber Care
Meguires Ultimate Black

Wheels

Water rinse

Interior

Autoglym Fast Glass

Last edited:

DarrenAnthony

Currently mostly using Auto Finesse.
my AF.JPG

Avalanche - Snow Foam
Lather - Shampoo
Glisten - Spray Wax
Finale - Quick Detailer
Revive - Trim Dressing
Tripple3 - All In One Polish
Ultra Glaze - Paint Glaze
Radiance - Carnauba Creme
Mercury - Metal Polish
Imperial - Wheel Cleaner
Iron Out
Crystal - Glass Cleaner
Gloss - Tyre Dressing
Citrus Power - Bug & Tar Remover
Total - Interior Cleaner
Spritz - Interior Quick Detailer
Dressle - All Purpose Dressing
Hide - Leather Cleanser
Hide - Leather Conditioner
Tough Prep - Paint Preparation
Tough Coat - Paint Sealant
Glide - Clay Lube
Clay Bar
Handi Puck - Hand Polishing Puck
Aqua Deluxe - Drying Towel.

Also use from other people:
AutoBrite Direct DA-12 Dual Action Polisher.
Chemical Guys Blacklight
Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 - Quick Detailer
Meguiars Hot Shine - Tyre Spray
Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Poorboys Wheel Sealant

How each item gets used is dependant on if I'm feeling productive or lazy lol.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Currently mostly using Auto Finesse.

How each item gets used is dependant on if I'm feeling productive or lazy lol.

That's a nice bit of kit you have there!

I'm a fan of the Ultra Glaze and Triple 3 but haven't really tried anything else of Auto Finese.

Did you start with them or just found them better than anything else?

I'm starting to find that anything by Autobrite is very good quality.

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
Some of my favourite products are as follows....

Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam (@ 4% via a pump sprayer, I no longer use snow foam)
BH Auto-Wash (concentrated, so only use about 5ml in a bucket)
BH Korrosol (fallout remover)
BH Surfex HD (water based degreaser that an be diluted)
BH Cleanser-Fluid
BH Auto_Clay (water is used as the lubricant with this clay bar)
BH Double Speed-Wax
BH Finis-Wax
BH Auto-Wheel (twice a year as wheels are sealed)
BH Auto-QD (can be diluted)
Race Glaze Nano Wheel Sealant (excellent durability and sooo easy to use)
Finish Kare FK1000P
Sonax BSD
Sonax Sealant (Can't remember which one but it is in an aerosol can)
Gyeon Q2 Tire
Gyeon Q2 Trim
Nanolex Urban Glass Sealant

As you will see, there is one manufacturer that predominates, Bilt Hamber. I have never used any products from this English company that I have not been deeply impressed with. They may not be as well known as some of the big players, don't use fancy packaging and are often very cheap but are outstanding performers in their respective categories. Well worth checking them out.

DarrenAnthony

That's a nice bit of kit you have there!

I'm a fan of the Ultra Glaze and Triple 3 but haven't really tried anything else of Auto Finese.

Did you start with them or just found them better than anything else?

I'm starting to find that anything by Autobrite is very good quality.

I used to use a lot of Meguiars stuff. But I found their interior cleaning products just didn't hit the mark at all, then a mate put me on to the Autofinesse Spritz and Dressle, which really did a good job. After that I started trying more of their products and found them all to be pretty good.
Yeah, The Autobrite Direct products are all pretty good too. I have a mate who only ever uses their stuff and his car is always sparkling.

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I forgot to add that the best piece of detailing kit I have ever bought, is a DI vessel. Yes, I know it's not a product but I wouldn't be without one now.
No possibility of drying towel induced swirls. No water marks which is great in summer when the car dries quickly in the sun. It's also great in winter when you have to spend less time out in the cold, just rinse and go in and have a cup of tea. When you don't have one you think you don't need one and when you have one you couldn't live without it. Of course it really only works on a waxed or sealed car.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I forgot to add that the best piece of detailing kit I have ever bought, is a DI vessel./QUOTE]
Youll have to help me out here lol what is that exactly... ?

Is it some form of pressure tank to dry cars or something lol

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
A DI (de-ionisation) vessel in this context usually looks like an air tank used for diving with a hozelock type inlet and outlet on top and are often used by window cleaners. It is fed from the tap with the water passing through a resin inside the vessel removing the dissolved ionised solids such as salts and minerals.

It is these dissolved solids that leave the marks on the vehicle when the water has evaporated and are present at higher levels in hard water areas than in soft water areas.
They are 100% removed and levels can be measured by means of a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) mete with the readings are usually in parts per million

So when it is hot and sunny, for example, no water marks are left as only pure water is on the car as the dissolved material has been removed and when the water evaporates you are left with nothing but a spotless car.

It is much quicker and streamlines the washing process. It also does away the need for towel drying with its attendant risks.

So a DI vessel is basically a water filter.

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Reactions: perryqhill

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Perfect... now what sort of cost are we looking at to get something like this installed lol I looked at the idea of a heater blower to dry the car but this sounds good so I can clean the house windows while i'm at it lol

How often does the filter need replacing?

Sorry for all the questions lol

Cheers

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
The forum should be about answering questions and helping others, it's not a problem.

About £120 or so, filled.

As for how long the resin needs replacing, how long is a piece of string?

It depends on how hard the water is, the flow rate and quality of resin etc.

I normally use mine for final rinse only (3 cars) at lower pressure with open hose to sheet the water off the car. I live in a soft water area and it lasts me about 2 years before needing to be refilled with fresh resin.

I also use the filtered water to dilute screen-wash. When the tap is turned off there is some residual pressure in the vessel so I open the valve at the end of my hose again and drain the residual filtered water into a container(s) so as not to waste it. I am tight that way!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
The forum should be about answering questions and helping others, it's not a problem.
Thanks for the info!

I have just got an outside tap installed in the garage for washing the car and we live in a hard water area so maybe for me refill once a year...

I'd be the same with screen wash haha

Is there a company/resin I should be looking at?

Cheers

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I believe there are a few companies supplying window cleaners that sell them. One detailing company in Stamford near Peterborough sell a couple of different ones too. There is some talk that the height to circumference ratio makes a big difference but one thing for certain is the quality of the resin used is the main thing.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
What’s the best product people have used to restore the Black to the external trims?

The Window Rubbers on my Cupra have white marks from previous cleaning and also the Black Front Grille (Above and Below the Bumper) the Wing Mirror Housings and Rear number plate surround all could do with a spruce up.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've heard really good things about Gtechniq C4 which is claimed to last a couple of years. But haven't got round to trying it yet. Especially as I have 2 bottles of autoglym trim gel left (which I find works well for 3-4 weeks for me).

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It definately works on plastics... I had to google rubber but found this from a Gtechniq rep:
"c4 will work on any molecule that has a hydroxyl group in it which includes man made rubber. just be sure to folllow instructions and remove excess product.".

So ye, check your molecules!!

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I have used C4 in the past and cleanliness is absolutely vital. Any surface that you wish to coat with C4 must be spotless for good adhesion. When applied properly it does last a long time which might not be a massive benefit if you don't keep the car for long.

If you are looking for something a bit more forgiving to apply then Gtechniq have a product for tyres and trim called T1.

More recently I have used Gyeon Q2 Tire on rubber and Q2 Trim on the hard plastic trim. I will most definitely be using these two Gyeon products in the future.
There are of course many other alternatives and as always, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Reactions: Maypack

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I forgot to mention in my previous post an APC/degreaser that is very powerful yet perfectly safe to use on rubber.
It is made by Bilt Hamber is called Surfex-HD and is water based. It is normally diluted and is therefore very economical to use. It can also be used domestically e.g. cleaning a hob or cooker hood.
It quite literally is an All Purpose Cleaner.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I have every Gyeon product.

Have used many other products, Gyeon is in a different league imo.

More recently I have used Gyeon Q2 Tire on rubber and Q2 Trim on the hard plastic trim. I will most definitely be using these two Gyeon products in the future.

I think I'm going to have to break my cleaning product amnesty (not buying anything new till I've used the 40+ bottles I already own). I have to give Gyeon a try now!

Reactions: Trout
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.