What brand of Brake discs & pads is popular/good value?

What brand of Brake discs & pads is popular/good value?

• Black Diamond

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • EBC (put off already tbh as I am not going on a track)

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • AP racing

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ATE

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I'm using ATE power discs on my cupra at the moment with no complaints. They've done 35k miles so far teamed up with ferodo ds2500 pads and the grooves are just about worn away indicating that replacement is due soon. The pads still have a fair bit of life left.

Next time round I'm tempted by Brembo Max discs all round as power discs don't seem to be available for the back. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-BREMBO-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad631e433

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Popular/good value don't always come together unfortunately :(

I'd never have any other pads than Ferodo DS2500's now - expensive but awesome stopping power. Combined with some grooved discs from "mtec" on the bay and it's a good package for a semi-decent price.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
I've got Brebmo Max discs and EBC Red stuff pads. EBC got a lot of bad press with crappy pads, but the new versions are really good. I was going to go for DS2500 which everyone seems to have, but was put off my reports of lots of dust.

Plus my mate has DS2500 on his clio and now gets sweeks etc.

I've had the EBC on for about a month and they are really good performance. As long as you get Green or Red they will be fine. Yellow are track ones, Red/Green are road and work well from cold.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
I am buying these for 312mm conversion and there is too much choice! I do not want drilled just grooved.

For discs go from Brembo Max, can't knock them. Get the part number from their website and search ebay for them. I got mine for under £120. Which was cheaper than OEM ones

Aimez

Okay all different view here think I will go with DS2500 pads then as most people seem to agree, my standard mintex pads squeak am used to that. Think I will go with whatever is cheapest for discs is splashing out on pads more. I will post up some links see what you guys think.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
OEM ones from stealers (discs that is) were aroun £65 each. Don't skimp on the ££ for the discs, they'll last longer than the pads!

I had cheap ones on the car when i got it and they warped within 2 months. DS2500 are good, I just wanted to be different and give EBC a go. Think EBC are just as good and cheaper.

MTIbiza

www.streetmodified.co.uk
Jul 16, 2007
Crawley
I went with the EBC hardened discs and the DS2500 and can't fault them.

pair of discs were only about £75.

Anth

Cant recommend the EBC brake disks, if i can wear them smooth in a 1.2 corsa they wont stand a chance in a 1.9 TDi. The green stuff pads were ok, had them on my last 3 cars, when i get the cash am going to go with Black Diamond disks and predator pads.. want a bit of a change. :D

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
The discs Damoegan and I have from ebay look to me like OEM blanks from SEAT, with additional grooves or holes (or both) added at a later stage.

Aimez

can anyone please tell me which pads I need from the link I posted, please! As I said I have already ordered CRN discs for £88 delivered, got some quotes for EBC discs form Badger5 but I cannot spend that much!
But now want the DS2055 pads but there are several available for the Audi don't want to buy the wrong ones and the link above seems to be the cheapest delivered price.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
If the car has standard kit (not upgraded disks etc) then I would think we are looking at Lucus Calipers?

I'm getting the car is a Ibiza/1.9 TD FR (Original Car = 130 BHP)/2004-

If so these are the EBC ones http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/...r=1.9+TD+FR+(Original+Car+=+130+BHP)+(2004-)#

Which based on the picture of the shape means it is these Ferodo's

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15263376

I'm not 100% as I've got a Cupra and they are AP calipers, but if the shape looks like it does in the pics then hope that helps.

Aimez

If the car has standard kit (not upgraded disks etc) then I would think we are looking at Lucus Calipers?

I'm getting the car is a Ibiza/1.9 TD FR (Original Car = 130 BHP)/2004-

If so these are the EBC ones http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/...r=1.9+TD+FR+(Original+Car+=+130+BHP)+(2004-)#

Which based on the picture of the shape means it is these Ferodo's

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15263376

I'm not 100% as I've got a Cupra and they are AP calipers, but if the shape looks like it does in the pics then hope that helps.

The calipers I have are ATE ones OEM from Sere motors the pads in the link all say they for ATE calipers. I thought they must be all the same but why list them all separately for different models seems odd if they are not different?

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
I'm a fan of EBC stuff. We have put them on most of our cars now, from my old Metro to my dads Scoobie. They produce less dust, suit our driving styles and are kinder to discs. The Grooved and dimpled discs will not crack, unlike drilled ones and their slotted ones are much quieter, but still better than plain ones.

If you don't want EBCs then get Mintex or Ferodo. I would be temped with the DS2500 as people rave about them, but I don't want to pay well over £100 for a set of pads. I'll stick with my £60 odd Green Stuff. There is a thread on Briskoda discussing how road legal these Ferodos are as I don't think they comply with Regulation 90. Briskoda.net - DS2500 "track day only" pads There is also an Italian Magazine test mentioned in that thread that tested brake pads and EBCs Red stuff comes top, beating DS2500s which came 3rd.

Last edited:

Aimez

Are the green ones for road use then, is it blue and yellow that are for track use (warm not suitable fro cold) I do alot of short journey to work. Tbh I am actually having second thoughts now about DS2500s I have paid less for the discsnow and I really don't want to spend too much on discs and pads as I had to buy the calipers brand new but didn't want cheap crap either. Was always put of by EBC everyone saying they are dodgy for short journeys.
I am not bothered about whatever reg 90 is I have HIDs on my car which is technically wrong and who would check brake pads!

Mar 13, 2010
Green stuff will work better form cold than red stuff, as red are more track orientated, the EBC ultimax pads which are the oem replacement are quite good for the price, i had them on my old car and noticed an improvement.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.