What brand of Brake discs & pads is popular/good value?

What brand of Brake discs & pads is popular/good value?

• Black Diamond

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • EBC (put off already tbh as I am not going on a track)

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • AP racing

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ATE

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

davidmills2002

Jul 14, 2008
Buntingford, Hertfordshire
Are the green ones for road use then, is it blue and yellow that are for track use (warm not suitable fro cold) I do alot of short journey to work. Tbh I am actually having second thoughts now about DS2500s I have paid less for the discsnow and I really don't want to spend too much on discs and pads as I had to buy the calipers brand new but didn't want cheap crap either. Was always put of by EBC everyone saying they are dodgy for short journeys.
I am not bothered about whatever reg 90 is I have HIDs on my car which is technically wrong and who would check brake pads!
It looks like they are all the same part on your link to Euro Performance. Don't know why there's 3 of them but all have the same part number which correlates to what it should be.

I've had DS2500 on my car for about 18 months now (15k to 20k miles). Still got plenty of material left and reckon they will last a good while longer. I can't comment on other pads as have only used DS2500. When cold they work very well but when they get up to temperature you can notice a big improvement. There is much more bite and feels like it's stopping quicker.

They are quite expensive but if you look how long they last then works out not very much spread over the life of the pads. Also they are recommended by so many people and have nothing but good praise so you know they work well and you will be happy with them.

Aimez

I do VERY low mileage my drive to work in like 5 mins, my current standard Mintex ones have been on the car for at least two years and still have lots of life left in them so really don't wanna be stuck with pads that I don't like for years on end (unless I get a new job and driver further!). I dunno people have bragged they have done the 312 upgrade for only a few hundred quid and I am spending too much now so may have to go with EBC and be sensible.

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
I have Red Stuff on at the moment. I have no problems, I do a 10 minute commute (not on motorway), twice daily and have no issues. They dont take long to heat up and are very good once they have done so, work nicely on the motorway/dual carriageways, especially since I whacked dot5.1 fluid in.

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
Hmm differing views on Green & red then now I have another decision!

Green pads are designed for fast road use for lighter cars. Red Ceramic pads are for cars with more than 200 bhp and heavier cars (Scoobies etc). Is your car remapped? (I haven't read your Ride thread yet), if so I'd possibly choose Red, defiantly if you do track days. If not then stick to Greens. I have Green stuff in my Furby vRS and they seam OK. Today I've had to order some rear discs and pads as the original pads were de-laminating. I went for Green to match my fronts.

Aimez

Green stuff will work better form cold than red stuff, as red are more track orientated, the EBC ultimax pads which are the oem replacement are quite good for the price, i had them on my old car and noticed an improvement.

Like what he said then, no my car is not remapped currently wanting to get a remap for definite, not sure if it will be stage 1 or yet thou changes everyday!

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
I've got EBC red and they are totally fine from cold. The "bad press" is because they had crappy stuff a few years ago, but have totally changed their compound etc.

Green are for less that 200bph, Red are for 200bph+, both are for "fast road" use

Yellow are for "track" use and to be honest, are best for that.

So go for green or red.

I've had no problems with the red stuff from cold, hot or in the middle. My mate has DS2500 and the EBC are just as good, but cheaper.

If you find the part you need from EBC's website, try searching for the part on Amazon (yes Amazon) I got mine from there cheaper than I could find else where.

Aimez

Thanks for that interesting about Amazon! I have a huuuuuge wish list on Amazon so will get a DVD as well then!
Brakes discs I ordered are taking ages to arrive but not like I have got the pads yet!lol
Do you think I should get red for the remap?

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
TBH, unless you plan on a remap giving you 240+ bph, I'd go for what you can afford. If there was greens stuff for my cupra I'd had bought it, but they only sold red or yellow for mine. So red it was (plus the colour matched my car!)

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
What did you go for in the end Aimez? I'm going about purchasing some discs and pads for my 312mm calipers soon but will get some for the rear at the same time. I like the look of the CRN discs.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members