what did you and your mk3 leon do today

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
I gave it a good clean and I was very disappointed to see a large number of stone chips... The paint isn't tick enough by the looks of it :(

Also cleaned with exhaust with Autosol. Or, I shoul say, tried to clean it because I couldn't see a difference. £5 wasted on that Autosol tube. Available for free to however wants it :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 98136

Bummer about the stone chips (how old is the car ?)

You're right about the thickness of the paint, previous owner of mine had evidently slightly chipped the rear bumper whilst using the boot, which had took the paint off exposing the black base colour of the bumper underneath, not too bad as it can be touched up using a cocktail stick with the paint on.
But rubbing a cocktail stick across the area, it doesn't meet any resistance where the black is showing through which proves to me how thin the paint is.

Strange about the Autosol, I've always found it to be very effective at doing what it's supposed to.

Ronster

Aug 23, 2014
Stunning. Is that the black pack?

Oh no Rob, just noticed that your car was damaged on way to dealers. Bet your gutted after 10 week wait? Pick mine up in just over a week. I'd probably cancel as well if it got damaged. Sorry to hear it mate

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Oh no Rob, just noticed that your car was damaged on way to dealers. Bet your gutted after 10 week wait? Pick mine up in just over a week. I'd probably cancel as well if it got damaged. Sorry to hear it mate

Cheers mate, yes been waiting as since early Jan. Not sure of entire story yet going to Dealer on Thursday to get deposit back. Say they can re order so going to consider options. Really disappointed to be honest.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I think the phrase used was "pretty badly". Which was obviously enough for me to cancel the order which dealer agreed with. Was in middle of meeting at work so just got the basic info, will find out more Thursday.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK
I think the phrase used was "pretty badly". Which was obviously enough for me to cancel the order which dealer agreed with. Was in middle of meeting at work so just got the basic info, will find out more Thursday.

What a bummer.

I suspect Seat dealers will be able to "jump the queue" in cases like these?

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
Bummer about the stone chips (how old is the car ?)

You're right about the thickness of the paint, previous owner of mine had evidently slightly chipped the rear bumper whilst using the boot, which had took the paint off exposing the black base colour of the bumper underneath, not too bad as it can be touched up using a cocktail stick with the paint on.
But rubbing a cocktail stick across the area, it doesn't meet any resistance where the black is showing through which proves to me how thin the paint is.

Strange about the Autosol, I've always found it to be very effective at doing what it's supposed to.

The car has done 25k miles.

Re Autosol, maybe I haven't used it correctly? I tried with a brush after leaving it few minutes to work, yet no stains improved their appearance.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK

Re Autosol, maybe I haven't used it correctly? I tried with a brush after leaving it few minutes to work, yet no stains improved their appearance.

Get some white spirit on a rag & soak it onto the tail pipe & back box. Let it soak for ages then wipe all the tar spots off. Then use Solvol Autosol. If that doesn't work I'll BUY the left over tube from you!

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site

Solvol Autosol doesn't work like that. You need to apply it with a cloth, rubbing it in quite firmly. It is a polish not a chemical cleaner so leaving it on the surface is a waste of time.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
What a bummer.

I suspect Seat dealers will be able to "jump the queue" in cases like these?

Spoke to SEAT (VAG) Finance this morning their info states 'car was written off at the Port' so at least it wont end up on sale to an unsuspecting customer.

Last edited:

JODmeister

May 9, 2013
So, what did me and the Mk3 do today?

Well, having bought it today, we became very good friends. I was somewhat very sad having said bye bye to the Mk2 last week, but now I have a best buddy.

JOD.

Hooblue

Apr 9, 2015
What did I do in mine today...nothing as it's sat on my drive way.

Bought it as a car to use for the commute to work and as a weekend runner while the wife uses the family wagon, but I don't start my new job for another 2 weeks, so until then it'll mostly be sat at home while I catch a train into London every day! :cry:

Ballon

Jul 13, 2014
Wimbledon
On Tuesday I took my mother home to Plymouth and then cam back again in the day. It's a bloody long drive but needs must.....

471 miles
9hr 11mins driving time
average speed 51mph
MPG 35.1

M3, A303 and A38 out
on the way back I turned off the A303 and headed towards Crewkerne and Dorchester, some great roads and little traffic.

the car never fails to surprise me with its all round ability, absolutely brilliant.

Hooblue

Apr 9, 2015
On Tuesday I took my mother home to Plymouth and then cam back again in the day. It's a bloody long drive but needs must.....

471 miles
9hr 11mins driving time
average speed 51mph
MPG 35.1

M3, A303 and A38 out
on the way back I turned off the A303 and headed towards Crewkerne and Dorchester, some great roads and little traffic.

the car never fails to surprise me with its all round ability, absolutely brilliant.

My folks live in Plymouth and I quite enjoy the drive down there. I do M4, M5 then A38 though so maybe not quite so scenic. I sometimes do the A303 though and then up the A34. Usually I only get to do it in the family wagon though (Honda CRV) so would love to get off the M'ways in the new FR and have some fun.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.