what did you and your mk3 leon do today

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Had new ST -40mm springs, top mount bearings and drop links fitted to my FR. very pleased with how they sit and the car handles now, as it should have come out the factory in my opinion.

Do you have links for top mount bearings and drop links ?
I'd like to take a look at those.

And if you have a photo, it would be nice to see how low 40 mm springs got the car.

Cheers.

RileyFR

Jul 14, 2022
South West
Do you have links for top mount bearings and drop links ?
I'd like to take a look at those.

And if you have a photo, it would be nice to see how low 40 mm springs got the car.

Cheers.
Hello, they are standard VAG replacement top mount bearings and I used some adjustable droplinks.

ill get some pics once its settled so you get an idea of how it sits.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Hello, they are standard VAG replacement top mount bearings and I used some adjustable droplinks.

ill get some pics once its settled so you get an idea of how it sits.

Thanks for the response.

I looked for the drop links and found something like this:

Don't know if they are any good, but from what I've read there I understand that keeping the factory fitted drop links after the lowering is not something advisable. To this date, I didn't see any aftermarket spring manufacturer ever mentioning about that. This is a valuable information for me, your post made me start looking for that, so thank you :)

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your car's pics.

Reactions: RileyFR

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Had the n/s/f shock replaced, and fixed an engine issue. Car would rough idle, sometimes stall and generally be jerky and feel low on power. Turns out the camshaft adjuster valves and camshaft adjuster magnets were clogged.

Reactions: RileyFR

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Installed a Hardrace front strut brace - should have been an easy job, but one of the captive nuts on the passenger side shock absorber has apparently sheared off at some point!

Could turn it by hand and couldn't undo it because it span freely... So then had to jack the car up, remove the wheel and try and grab what was left of the nut from underneath. Absolute ballache as there's absolutely no access. Eventually managed to get a purchase on it, and a lot of swearing later it came off.

For now I've replaced the bolt with a new 10.8 grade stainless, and underneath Ive used a washer and double nutted it (one m8 and one m8 jam nut) to keep it secure.

Made a 20min job a 3 hour job, and to top it off you can't even see it with the scuttle tray back in situ! 🤣

20231006_160228.jpg

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Went for my first 'spirited' drive this morning post strut brace install - tbh wasn't sure exactly how much difference it'd make, lots of people on forums raving about installing one on the MQB platform cars (mostly Golf R), others saying pointless...

Massive difference imo! Steering feel is hugely improved, and doesn't feel like it needs as much 'pulling' into corners/rotation of the steering wheel - seems to just follow every tiny movement. Cornering seems to be a big improvement too, where before I'm sure the chassis flex was lifting a front tyre off the road (and making the electronic diff kick in) it's now just pulled in sharply and stays almost flat - definitely still some movement at the rear, but the front end just does as it's told and doesn't feel like traction is fighting you
Has however made absolutely no difference to wheel hop in 1st/2nd/3rd if you absolutely nail it 🤣

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Have you got a link to the brace, I can’t see anyway to buy on the site I’ve found 😂
I got mine from here (this exact model). Says for Golf GTI, but absolutely 100% fits my 184 TDI. Bagged it with eBay 20% off discount code 😎

RileyFR

Jul 14, 2022
South West
Went for my first 'spirited' drive this morning post strut brace install - tbh wasn't sure exactly how much difference it'd make, lots of people on forums raving about installing one on the MQB platform cars (mostly Golf R), others saying pointless...

Massive difference imo! Steering feel is hugely improved, and doesn't feel like it needs as much 'pulling' into corners/rotation of the steering wheel - seems to just follow every tiny movement. Cornering seems to be a big improvement too, where before I'm sure the chassis flex was lifting a front tyre off the road (and making the electronic diff kick in) it's now just pulled in sharply and stays almost flat - definitely still some movement at the rear, but the front end just does as it's told and doesn't feel like traction is fighting you
Has however made absolutely no difference to wheel hop in 1st/2nd/3rd if you absolutely nail it 🤣
Have you done the lower arm bar as well as the top?

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
Went to mechanic and replace water pump. Heard those are known for failing quite a lot. Replaced pump,both belt kits and fuel filter.

Pump bearings were destroyed - 130k km.

Bluepower

May 1, 2016
Installed the turbo outlet and intake pipe and the muffler delete. Swapped the coolant reservoir for a new one(old one was just fine, but for the sake of failure point replaced it.. coming up to being 10 years old). Also replaced the fuel hoses, which can become brittle on the inside and flaking off tiny bits of rubber that can block the injectors, causing engine failures...
Then went on to install the dogbone insert, just to realize I ordered the wrong one... So that will have to wait untill the right one comes in, then to install that and install the MTS coilover set as well.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Fitted some Mintex M1166 brake pads on the front to replace the old Ferodo DS2500 Which are great pads but don't last very long.

Reactions: Walone

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Just had two front wheel bearings fitted.
Quiet car but a poor owner.

Last edited:

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Interesting choice, I've always liked Mintex pads and discs, but don't seem to hear them mentioned much.
Agreed the name has not been so prominent but my local supplier recommended then, and they are also upgrading a lot of there pads so the range will hopefully get better.

I loved the old 2500 but they were not long lasting at all (granted a lot of track use), so this is the top of the road range - next step is bottom of the track range, but seems to offer everything I was looking for as most of my use is on track but I still want a usable road pad. I have another track day booked so will see how they hold up on the track and daily road use to see if they are any good or not.

Reactions: TheSwede and Walone

Bluepower

May 1, 2016
Installed the dogbone insert and MTS coilover set this weekend. Although I've put the front struts spring bearer half-way up the strut, the cars is at the same height(on the passenger side even a tad higher) then on the OEM strut/spring set. I'm letting the springs settle for a week, will then adjust the springs a lot lower..
As for the dogbone insert: gear shifts(DQ200) are a lot smoother, but I'm getting a little vibration a low speeds due to the lack of dampening of the OEM rubber insert.. not sure if I can ignore that enough to not remove the insert again...

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Installed the dogbone insert and MTS coilover set this weekend. Although I've put the front struts spring bearer half-way up the strut, the cars is at the same height(on the passenger side even a tad higher) then on the OEM strut/spring set. I'm letting the springs settle for a week, will then adjust the springs a lot lower..
As for the dogbone insert: gear shifts(DQ200) are a lot smoother, but I'm getting a little vibration a low speeds due to the lack of dampening of the OEM rubber insert.. not sure if I can ignore that enough to not remove the insert again...
I get a bit of vibration at low revs, but it’s not that noticeable. I can ignore it.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I get a bit of vibration at low revs, but it’s not that noticeable. I can ignore it.
It does seem to depend on what make you install, personally I fitted the Revo one and not aware of any extra vibration over stock and I have met people with different mounts and they have a lot of vibration