What do you think then? New and Old

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
you need to compare the same spec as its a bit byasts due to one being an fr and the other a basic spec... put the 1.2 against it and you would prob go for the mk5 but if u put the cupra against it you would prob go for the mk4 cupra....

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
am heading down to london to the motor show later, so will post pics up on sunday when i get back

may have even put my name down for the cupra:whistle:

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
That has been on my mind as it goes. Might just buy a 2 year old Clio 197 or leon FR and keep that for the 6 months as a used car wont depreciate as much. Its just that the ibiza has to go by march 09.

how come??
197 would be a nice interim.. but i think the leon would be a much nicer interim! clio just seems far too over rated.. outside of it is nicer, but inside is appauling imo.

mk5 cupra FTW when it's about though!!!!

Poverty

how come??
197 would be a nice interim.. but i think the leon would be a much nicer interim! clio just seems far too over rated.. outside of it is nicer, but inside is appauling imo.

mk5 cupra FTW when it's about though!!!!

Getting 2nd years ncb in march and want to get rid of the car before the warranty runs out in june/july. Think I might get something different for the 6 months like the clio as I might like the leon fr too much, then end up wanting a leon cupra as well as a ibiza cupra!

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England
bit of an unfair comparison as people have said.

i much prefer the mk4, all models, over the mk5 and mk5 SC.

i went to the motorshow on Thursday, spent 11 hours driving my car that day!

and after seeing the mk5 in the flesh, and the 3door SC, i was more than happy returning to my old FR at the end of the day!

(obviously doesnt mean i wouldnt rather be going home in many of the other cars there!!)

Didnt see the interiors on the day though, the pictures i've seen look fantastic. much better than the mk4.

However, i can say now I am expecting the FR and Cupras to blow the old models out of the water and can't wait to see them, even though I wont be able to afford one!

CHR15-53AT

I am currently driving the MK4 1.4 Sport 3Dr which I got in September '07 and to date I cannot fault it in any way.

Had a run out today in the new MK5 1.4 Sport and just as expected, no complaints. The ride feels quieter and possibly smoother thanks some sort of new clever chassis which will also be going into the new Polos's. Looks wise, I liked it and the interior feels sturdy with quality plastics which don't look or feel 'cheap'.

Currently though, the choices are limited to 3 engines 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 which apparently isn't much different to the 1.4.

So, will I be buying a new MK5, In short yes, but only when the 3Dr version comes out, I would also like to wait and see what diesel, Cupra or FR options will become available.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
i like the front of the mk5 better than the mk4 but the rear is so much better on the mk4, so i think I'll be getting a mk4 FR soon.

I must agree - the back end on the Mk4 is much better looking with the Cupra rear bumper but the Mk5 is definitely growing on me. As Chris said - I think the Sports Coupe will be the one to go for. Cupra/FR will be interesting. Will be better when they release a diesel version....

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
well i sat in the sc at the motor show, can't say i was 100% happy with it. the one i sat in had a shocking ivory colour trim which was not nice, and there was the armrest in the middle of the passenger and drivers doors which i was not happy with lol

however more room, loved the seats in the sc as well and like it quite a bit. the only thing was i am not keen on the styling of the 1.4 which i sat in, i hope the cupra is better as thats my target and fingers crossed its the bocanegra or the option for it

Poverty

the only thing better about the MK4 than the MK5 is the cup holder. The ones on the mk5 look like they will get in the way and wont be very supportive of different or odd shaped bottles.

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
Well as I said in my first post there was something missing with the air intake on the 1.4 we have, checked on another 1.4 and the air intake is on the grill.

DSC04354.jpg

missing parts

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
I must admit in the MK5 looks much better in white but the MK4 still looks better. From the sides the MK5 doesnt look too bad but the front and the back i'm not that keen on. The interior of the MK5 is much nicer though, i like the new speedo

The MK5 looks like its smiling :p
________
Mexico hotels

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.