What IPOD Lead?

Leodis

May 30, 2011
I am getting my ST Tech in a week or so and was wondering if a special lead is needed to connect my Ipod Classic via the glove box port.

Any advise greatly received.:whistle:

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
No need - it fits fine, although if you have it in a case you will have to either remove it or use an extension lead, putting the iPod on the shelf next to iPod cradle in the glove box.

One thing that's worth baring in mind though, the iPod functionality is limited to say the least with a maximum of 6 playlists and no track read out (basically the interface tricks the RNS-E into seeing the iPod as a CD changer - 6 playlists = 6 CDs). To be honest, I've never used the iPod interface myself, instead I bought a 32GB SDHC card from maplin for about £30 and converted all my tracks from AAC to MP3 using Foobar with the Lame MP3 encoder, which is freeware available for download on the internet. This way you can organise your songs into as many folders and subfolders of Artist and Album as you can probably fit on the card (so far I've got 220 folders with 2124 songs and no problems) and the Lame encoder is so good that if you use a high bitrate you can't really tell that it's been compressed.

Last edited:

Dave_

Jul 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
The iPod interface in the SE Tech s infuriatingly shite. It's the only thing I don't really like about the car.

I am going to use SD cards.

However, the BOSE set does produce some impressive sounds - I'm smitten.

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I can whole-heartedly agree with the comments above about getting an SD card, it's so much easier to live with, much easier to navigate, far more flexible and means you don't have an expensive iPod in your car.

SD cards are cheap these days and even a 16GB card goes a long way. They are also ideal for use in a car as there are no moving parts to risk shock and damage.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I can whole-heartedly agree with the comments above about getting an SD card, it's so much easier to live with, much easier to navigate, far more flexible and means you don't have an expensive iPod in your car.

SD cards are cheap these days and even a 16GB card goes a long way. They are also ideal for use in a car as there are no moving parts to risk shock and damage.
Totally agree with above comments, only thing I would add is go for the higer grade/bit rated SD card [I bought a ipod docking unit and have only used it once just use the SD card now]

Leodis

May 30, 2011
You're right, the IPOD interface is rubbish, I didn,t think it could be as bad as everybody say's..... but it is!

SD or Aux in much better.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.