what is allowed on your number plate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20482
  • Start date

Phosgene

May 7, 2007
Not saying that you will be caught by the fuzz. Just saying that you might. Mainly it is dependent on them not being an petty jobsworth with nothing better to do and, if you happen to be quizzed about something else, you not being too clever for your own good.
If mick18274 thinks it is worth it then he can choose to have them installed. It is not like they are going to crush the car if they find an iffy pair of plates with the Accrington Stanley crest on them.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
am i being a dumbass in thinking that if your car is reg'd pre sep 01 you can get away with putting what you like around the plate edge i.e the scn bit as per design??not having to put the name of the supplier??? as how would they know when they were fitted???

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
am i being a dumbass in thinking that if your car is reg'd pre sep 01 you can get away with putting what you like around the plate edge i.e the scn bit as per design??not having to put the name of the supplier??? as how would they know when they were fitted???

No I don't think the year is relevant.

Also.....
North Yorkshire Police launched a blitz against illegal number plates .....

The county-wide operation forms part of the ongoing road safety operation Helical 2. The .... crackdown aims to identify links between the use of misrepresented registration marks and criminality, maximise the disruption of criminal activity and reduce crime levels.

It follows growing concerns of the use of unlawful registration plates by motorists attempting to frustrate the effectiveness of roadside cameras.

Inspector Chris Charlton said: A vehicle is often an integral part of a criminal's toolkit and often the registration plate will be tampered with in an attempt to avoid detection. Illegal alterations range from changes to plate layout, use of non-standard fonts, use of tape, screws and other things to obscure plates, to more sophisticated methods such as stolen or cloned number plates.h In the two months since Helical 2 began, 825 fixed penalty tickets and 120 summons for speeding have been issued, 288 fixed penalty tickets have been issued for seatbelt offences, 104 drivers have been caught without insurance and 88 vehicles have been seized. A further 153 motorists have been issued with vehicle defect rectification notices.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
Thought it would be stupid if the year was but reading the various publications it doesn't seem all that clear.....as per the auto express link posted earlier...

Plates fitted to models registered after 1 September 2001 that aren’t embossed with the name and postcode of the supplier and BS AU145d British Standard symbol will result in an automatic failure. The move is des*igned to make it easy for testers to spot non-road-legal ‘show plates’, as these don’t have a BS symbol.

Vehicles made before 1 September 2001 don’t need the codes, although they may still fail if the examiner believes the reg uses letters and numbers with an incorrect size, font and spacing. And while plates which show an international marking to the left – such as GB or the Welsh Dragon – are fine, those with football team crests or cartoon characters will also fail.

So seems to me that this says it's ok to have an international mark but doesn't state that it's got to be the one of your country of residence! Why can you have the euro mark but not a Spanish one:confused:???

Prioritise me thinks........JUST ANOTHER EASY TARGET IN THE MOTORIST!:censored:

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Unfortunatly, although i like my "personlised" plate i feel its only a matter of time before i come to the attention of the police again, and have decided to revert back to the dealer supplied plates.

I assume there is no law about shortening the size of the plates, as long as they still display the correct markings. !

andycupra

status subject to change
my understanding was that for older plates there would be an allowance where the font use is very near to and substantially the same as the new approved fonts. Ive taken this as them giving a small allowance for those plates that are near as damm it meet the new regulations and so save most motorists the need to pay out for new plates.
However if you have a picture etc it will fail.

andycupra

status subject to change
Unfortunatly, although i like my "personlised" plate i feel its only a matter of time before i come to the attention of the police again, and have decided to revert back to the dealer supplied plates.

I assume there is no law about shortening the size of the plates, as long as they still display the correct markings. !

i had this discussion on another thread some time ago. Halford have even been providing cut down plates (for where there is 5 characters for example) with bs stamp etc which inicated they were ok.
However some discussion on here it was highlighted that there is a reference to the plate having to meet british standard ******* ( i cant remember the number).
There was some discussion about whether this would include a standard size..

I contacted british standards who would not provide information without me paying a subscription, so its a bit rough that the public cant even view regulations that effect your vehicle..
but anyway, i have been advised that this standard does refer to a standard size, but for testing purposes only.
So its a bit of a grey area. I couldnt recommend someone using cut down plates, but its not clear or easy for anyone to find any rule stating they cannot be used.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members