What RPM should I pass the boost threshold? [2.0 TFSI K03]

Jul 31, 2021
Just wondering because it seems like my Leon develops boost pretty late. As the weather has warmed up, it actually seems to have improved (which seems highly counter-intuitive) - but I’ve got no MILs on the dash - and (from what my cheapo code scanner can detect) i’ve got no stored DTCs.

It just seems like the engine is being ‘lugged’ when it shouldn’t be. Anything above 3k RPM and lag is minimal and the car pulls quite hard - but if I flat foot at ~2.5k RPM in 4th (or above) it lags quite a bit as it builds boost (until about 3k RPM) and then it opens the diverter valve, and cuts the boost completely (sitting at 0PSI WOT). If i take my foot off the throttle and then re-apply it, it then boosts no problem. It’s really strange. I’ll try to capture a data-log of it tomorrow.

It basically feels like it’s having a really hard time spooling up the turbo below 3k RPM - but I know the K03 is a pretty small and quick to spool turbo, so i just can’t understand what’s going on. I should mention the car was tuned by R-Tech. Although, I’m not trying to place any blame whatsoever. I blew up my last engine (like a donut) and had to replace it. I did all the work myself and fitted a BWJ (Cupra) engine - so it’s most likely a mistake i’ve made when installing the engine (since I don’t remember it having this problem before). Just weird that I’ve got no codes or MILs if that is the case. I should add that I put the old K03 turbo and injectors from the blown BWA engine onto this newer engine though.

Any ideas?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.