What to look for buying a mk3 1.4 EcoTSI FR

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Hello all!

Over 10 years since I was last here (after selling my mk2 TDI Sport) I'm now considering dipping my toe back in the world of Leon ownership (I've had a mk1, and a mk2, and I loved them both, so why not collect the set? :)) - so I'm going to take a look at one this evening and wondered what you recommend I check out/if there are any common issues/faults I should be aware of? Apologies if there's a buyer's guide here anywhere but I looked and couldn't find a definitive one!!

The car is quite a high miler for its age, but it's also had one owner from new and has full main dealer service history. The main dealer has also replaced the cambelt this year, so I'm a little less scared of the miles than I could be... It's also apparently had largely motorway miles and very little city driving so I don't think it's had a hard life. Is over 80k really a terrifying mileage for this engine?

The car is a 2014 1.4 EcoTSI FR Manual with Tech Pack.

I'd appreciate your guidance on what to look for and what questions to ask. Given the seller has had the car since brand new I'd hope he can answer the awkward questions :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Hello all!

Over 10 years since I was last here (after selling my mk2 TDI Sport) I'm now considering dipping my toe back in the world of Leon ownership (I've had a mk1, and a mk2, and I loved them both, so why not collect the set? :)) - so I'm going to take a look at one this evening and wondered what you recommend I check out/if there are any common issues/faults I should be aware of? Apologies if there's a buyer's guide here anywhere but I looked and couldn't find a definitive one!!

The car is quite a high miler for its age, but it's also had one owner from new and has full main dealer service history. The main dealer has also replaced the cambelt this year, so I'm a little less scared of the miles than I could be... It's also apparently had largely motorway miles and very little city driving so I don't think it's had a hard life. Is over 80k really a terrifying mileage for this engine?

The car is a 2014 1.4 EcoTSI FR Manual with Tech Pack.

I'd appreciate your guidance on what to look for and what questions to ask. Given the seller has had the car since brand new I'd hope he can answer the awkward questions :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Mileage shouldn’t be an issue as long as the oil changes have been regular. I had my mk1 Cupra R 225 from new and sold it after 9 years with 105,000 miles on it. Only things I had done engine wise was a clutch at 85,000 and coil packs at 100,000. Clutch on yours shouldn’t be an issue if it’s been mainly motorway miles. Just look at the oil change history. Check for blue smoke on start up and check for clutch wear using the old high gear pull up a hill test. If you go for it, I’d be inclined to have annual or 10,000 mile oil changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
If it drives and stops well without any weird noises etc. then there shouldn't be any nasty surprises, given the maintenance history - although annual service regime is preferable, rather than long life servicing for higher mileage cars.

Check the air vents across the dash all blow hot, or cold on aircon - the motorised flaps can fail and the heater matrix clog.

Check the headlights for dust inside, the rear light clusters for cracks and moisture.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Update - it's lovely... it drives as tightly as a new car - no unusual bangs, rattles or squeaks, the body is clean and tidy and the interior looks like it's barely been sat in! The only irritant is that the front alloys are pretty badly kerbed in places (owner blamed the wife! :LOL:), but that's not necessarily a show stopper as alloy refurbs aren't stupid money these days. Might use it as an angle for a few quid off though ;). Although the service book had recommended the long life servicing, he had in fact elected to have it serviced annually, so looking at around 15k between services, and every main stealer invoice to back it up.

So - pending some money shifting around (specifically from the person who's buying my old car!) it looks like I might be back in the fold! :) (hopefully that hasn't tempted fate)

Reactions: Mr Pig

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Oh one query (I don't reckon it will make much difference to my decision) but it's being sold as an EcoTSI but apparently it doesn't have the ACT as it's an earlier model? Is that right? I thought all EcoTSI engines has the ACT?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.