What tyres did your Leon come with?

Which brand of tyre did your Leon come with?

• Michelin

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Continental

Votes: 36 38.7%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Dunlop

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Goodyear

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Pirelli

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Hankook

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Uniroyal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vredestein

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
I bought mt FR used and I've the same on 3 wheels and then a "Triangle" on the OSR, deciding between Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, currently BlackCircles have a special offer whereby if you buy 4 Sport Maxx RT2's you get £25 off making them rather reasonably priced, although I think I may hold out for the Goodyear's as BlackCircles regularly have offers on various tyres.
I had the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on my Subaru - the dry and wet grip was incredible and they wore very well. I didn’t like the softer sidewall they had, initially it felt they rolled all over the place until I got used to it. Didn’t affect the grip as such but did change the handling feel. Black circles do often have revolving multi-buy deals on them.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If it was wheelspinning in the dry you have a very heavy right foot.
Yes when I was trying to test how it would accelerate....or the Bridgestones just have very little grip in some cooler conditions, or the traction control is trying to kill the power to keep the wheels from spinning. Perhaps why nowadays all cars with this power have 225 section and not 205 section tyres.

Bigivo1

May 21, 2016
Pirelli p zero. Seem to get wheel hop even in the dry, but when warmed up properly (on a hot day) they seem fine. Still look new after 5k in two years.

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
My 290 came with ContiSport 5P, seem to be wearing pretty fast and dont have great grip on launch but they seem OK in the corners in the dry. Very tempted to go with the Dunlop SportMaxx RT2's next partly due to the low noise level of 68db, I find the Contis unbearably loud at the moment. Anyone have experience with the Dunlops on a Cupra?

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I used to have 4 Dunlop Blue Respone on my old Mégane and couldn't fault them to be fair, when I swapped it for the FR I think I'd but about 20k (mainly motorway) on them and they still had plenty of tread.

I recently went from a set of Dunlop Blue SportResponse over to Bridgestone T001 EVO on the same 1600 middleweight saloon running it's factory size of 195/60x15". I am mostly interested in wet grip, traction and low noise levels on this well-handling/riding car, which I have owned since new/66K miles now.

The Dunlops seemed to be the best option when I bought them back in 2014 to replace older-pattern Goodyears and I was satisfied they were an improvement in all areas, particularly in terms of wet grip and noise levels.

The now 500-mile old T001 EVO's are in turn another improvement over the Dunlops, being quieter and have much improved traction off the line, (even allowing for them being new.) Wet grip seems fine and steering response a fraction sharper.
Only very minor downside is they seem to generate more secondary vibration when going-over bumps than the Dunlops did, but as their overall refinement is better I'm not complaining.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Mine came with Bridgestone Turanza T001 and they are excellent for grip in dry and wet but road noise seems quite high. Not sure if that is a fault of the tyres or the car or both.

DOT code is 3917 so they were made in the 39th week of 2017.
IME of choosing/using new 15" T001's on a different, but similar size/weight saloon car is that they are pretty quiet and an improvement
on the fairly quiet Dunlop Blue SportResponse tyres I had on it before.

The new 1.2 Leon is running factory Dunlop SportMaxx, which don't seem particularly quiet and the ride is fidgety, so combining the evidence with above would suggest it's the car more than the tyres. That these lower-powered Leons only have simple dead beam rear suspension might reinforce this conclusion, but the fact the factory fitted ridiculous 17" wheels won't have helped.

Reactions: spaceboy

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
My 280 when I purchased it had Falken FK510 on the front and those awful factory Bridgestone's on the back, horrible tyre!

I changed all 4 to a set of new Falken FK510's after a few months. I really like them, quiet, grippy in wet and dry and only £100 a corner for a UHP tyre.

Zx7R

Dec 5, 2016
Pirelli P Zero on a Cupra, thought they were pretty good tbh, although I still decided to change to Michelin PS4s

I had P Zero's and changed them to PS4S couple of months ago.
Comparing to regular tires P Zero are very good, low noise and very good grip. But PS4S are just another world (for daily using mostly).

Last edited:
Reactions: N8KOW

spaceboy

May 7, 2018
IME of choosing/using new 15" T001's on a different, but similar size/weight saloon car is that they are pretty quiet and an improvement
on the fairly quiet Dunlop Blue SportResponse tyres I had on it before.

The new 1.2 Leon is running factory Dunlop SportMaxx, which don't seem particularly quiet and the ride is fidgety, so combining the evidence with above would suggest it's the car more than the tyres. That these lower-powered Leons only have simple dead beam rear suspension might reinforce this conclusion, but the fact the factory fitted ridiculous 17" wheels won't have helped.

Yes I suspected it was the car rather than the tyres. It's disappointing, really. My ears are ringing after long motorway drives sometimes.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Point I should clarify is that I was referring to Bridgestone's later type of T001, that they called
the T001 EVO, which are much better rated and regarded in tyre tests/reviews I've read.
Wet grip, traction off the line and low noise levels were the main priorities when I chose them.

spaceboy

May 7, 2018
The standard T001 have received good reviews in the last year. I believe they use a softer compound that they used to which gives them better wet performance.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Bridgestone Potenza - I've found the grip ok in the recent heat but they are noisy.

Also in the wet, the spin easily, tyre hop bang bang bang is not a nice sound or feeling

Bensb93

Jun 2, 2018
My Cupra 300 came with Conti's.

Only driven around 150 miles so far in the car, so cant really give much of an opinion considering I haven't really pushed the car.

May look at MPSS after seeing as everyone seems to rave about them.

Reactions: N8KOW

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I had P Zero's and changed them to PS4S couple of months ago.
Comparing to regular tires P Zero are very good, low noise and very good grep. But PS4S are just another world (for daily using mostly).
I think it may be worth pointing out that the latest P Zeros are much better than the earlier ones. This can cause confusion when someone raves about a particular tyre and another says they were the worst tyres they ever had on a car. This of course is down to changing the tyre formula but keeping the same name. If, however, a tyre is improved and the name changed this removes any such confusion.
Which reminds me that I really must list my P Zeros for sale and keep SWMBO happy.

Reactions: Zx7R

JayClarke

Apr 18, 2018
Derby
Mine came with Conti SportContact 6's and they seem to be OK for both wear and grip.

Although, when the time does come for them to be replaced, I'll be moving back over to PS4S which I had on the GTI, the grip from them was phenomenal.

LegalBeagle

Jun 16, 2016
Picked up my 1.8TSI FR ST on Friday and they have a set of Bridgestone Turanza T001, which is exactly what my previous 2016 FR had too!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members