Whats Better for 17's...a 60/40, 60/60 or 40/40 drop?

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Hi guys

I'm about to buy a set of Koni shocks and springs, 2nd hand, have done 15,000, but for a good price.
I've been speaking to the owner and he said they lower about 50-60mm all round. I'm rolling on 17s with 205's?...
I've heard that 60mm on the front is fine, only rubbing on full lock, but what about the back? Is 60mm to much? is it worth getting 40mm springs for a 60/40 drop or 40/40?
Bearing in mind that my car is a 1.4......

I'm not really looking for a slammed car, or a track car, somewhere inbetween (to stop it looking like a tractor and prevent so much body roll and bouncyness) :)

I have done a search and not really found much, any help is appreciated....

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
i lowered my 1.4 40/40 and i always thought the front looked too high, i mean from standard 40/40 will make you smile, but 60/40 will be more suited id say personally... i reckon a 60 drop on the front of a 1.4 will be like a 40 drop on the front of a gti tbh

ill get you a pic of my 1.4 only lowered on springs mind, on 17s with a 40/40 drop

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
contrast adjusted so you can see the arch gaps

nf1jes.jpg

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
I lowered mine on 17's 40/40, i do get some serious scrubbing with people in the back, it sits alright, a lot better than standard, but am tempted by coilovers if my insurance allows. Passengers can walk.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
You may get some rubbing on the lip of the arch on the front with a 60mm drop and 205 tyres.

I had a shock and spring kit on with 60/40 lowering. I put my 16 Inch Oz's on with 205/45 tyres and I had rubbing on the lip of the arch and one of the screws that holds the arch liner. I took that screw out and still got the rubbing when I hit a bump and when there was abit of body roll. I also got rubbing on the chassis leg on full lock, the tyre was just touching and no more.

I fitted a set of Ta Technix coilovers last week and wound the car up 5mm (ish) all round so its roughly sitting with a 55/35 mm drop. There is abit of a bigger gap between arch and wheel but hardly anything really. I can put some pics up if required.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
don't bother , save your money.
Its not really that much money, and I need new shocks/springs at the back anyway, ask cupra kid lol

contrast adjusted so you can see the arch gaps

nf1jes.jpg

thanks very much mate, really helps, that looks like the perfect ride height for me, do you get any scrubbing at all?
p.s. nice to see another pre-facelift ;)

You may get some rubbing on the lip of the arch on the front with a 60mm drop and 205 tyres.

I had a shock and spring kit on with 60/40 lowering. I put my 16 Inch Oz's on with 205/45 tyres and I had rubbing on the lip of the arch and one of the screws that holds the arch liner. I took that screw out and still got the rubbing when I hit a bump and when there was abit of body roll. I also got rubbing on the chassis leg on full lock, the tyre was just touching and no more.

I fitted a set of Ta Technix coilovers last week and wound the car up 5mm (ish) all round so its roughly sitting with a 55/35 mm drop. There is abit of a bigger gap between arch and wheel but hardly anything really. I can put some pics up if required.

thanks Craig, what make were your shocks, ive heard that Koni shocks are pretty stiff but are adjustable, but they are used so its likely they're going to be softer?
When i searched i found a few pics of your car and the stance, looks really good but its the scrubbing I'm worried about.

I lowered mine on 17's 40/40, i do get some serious scrubbing with people in the back, it sits alright, a lot better than standard, but am tempted by coilovers if my insurance allows. Passengers can walk.

is that with using sport shocks as well as springs? are your rear wheels spaced? my rear shocks are stuffed, and my wheels were spaced 20mm, so whenever I went over speed-bumps or had 2-3 people in the back the scrubbing was really bad on the lip...

40/40 if you dont want scrubbage

thats what im most likely going to do... i think ill give the shocks and springs a go at 60mm, then change to 40mm, but im thinking the set he's selling may be 40mm, because i couldnt find any 60mm koni springs on tinterweb, unless theyre a different make...

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
with the 40/40 and 205 tyres, you get a bit of scrubage on full lock, but this is to be expected, and a little bit of rubbing on the plastic arch liner if i remember correctly...

It was a really nice pre facelift, it had a front bumper attachment made by seat which ive never ever seen on another car, which i am going to post a pic of cos i can :D

2s6ua38.jpg

... now ive got a facelifted model, and dropped on coilovers :p

Last edited:

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
i dont mind a little scrubbing, i can live with that lol...

wow, it looks amazing! i have to say one of the best looking pre's out there! i'd love that front bumper on mine!

its a shame youve got a facelift now :p

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
thanks Craig, what make were your shocks, ive heard that Koni shocks are pretty stiff but are adjustable, but they are used so its likely they're going to be softer?
When i searched i found a few pics of your car and the stance, looks really good but its the scrubbing I'm worried about.

The front shocks are Evo/TA Technix and the rears are Pi shocks. Reason for the difference is that the Evo/Ta Technix ones on the rear broke the seal and were leaking oil so I had to get new ones.

They are pretty stiff but not as bad as they were when they were first fitted. You may not get as much scrubbing as I did depending on the offset of your wheels.

Bentley1989

Mk2 Ibiza 1.4s
Dec 18, 2007
Hartlepool
ill be going down the same route as you soon matey, ive got 17's on as well and think im going for either 50/40 or 60/40 :) what profile tyres have you got?

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
The front shocks are Evo/TA Technix and the rears are Pi shocks. Reason for the difference is that the Evo/Ta Technix ones on the rear broke the seal and were leaking oil so I had to get new ones.

They are pretty stiff but not as bad as they were when they were first fitted. You may not get as much scrubbing as I did depending on the offset of your wheels.

Ok mate, will probs be going for that setup, my wheels are 7J and the offset is 35

ill be going down the same route as you soon matey, ive got 17's on as well and think im going for either 50/40 or 60/40 :) what profile tyres have you got?

My tyres are 205/40/r17, only tyre size that will fit the mk2s I think, anything else would be to big lol

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
koni dont do 50 or 60mm lowering springs. All they do is 40mm but photos i've seen that people claim they have koni 40mm springs looked like a good 50mm drop... somehow tho my car looked standard height. They only drop the gti/cupras 25mm because its 15mm lower than the 1.4's and yes they use the same springs for a 1.0, 1.4, 1.6, 2.0 8v & 16v which I wasn't pleased to hear off koni!

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
koni dont do 50 or 60mm lowering springs. All they do is 40mm but photos i've seen that people claim they have koni 40mm springs looked like a good 50mm drop... somehow tho my car looked standard height. They only drop the gti/cupras 25mm because its 15mm lower than the 1.4's and yes they use the same springs for a 1.0, 1.4, 1.6, 2.0 8v & 16v which I wasn't pleased to hear off koni!

You know what Dave, I think your right, I searched all over the Internet and couldn't find 60mm Koni springs, the guy who's selling them has said they were 50 or 60, he can't remember, so I'm guessing they must be 40mm, but lower 50 lol

Which is a bonus for me, less a rubbing and still looks low! :D

Bentley1989

Mk2 Ibiza 1.4s
Dec 18, 2007
Hartlepool
ive got 45's on the front and 40's on the back (only becuase i got the alloys with those tyres on, i got 2 more 45's with them but they caught on my rear mudflaps) it does rub a bit on full lock, only when im 3 pointing quick tho

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Mine scrapes on full lock aswell, only because of the body roll, doesn't normally lol. What will you be using to lower yours?

Btw they aren't called 3 point turns anymore lol, they're called something like "turn in road" because most people can't do it in three turns :cartman:

Bentley1989

Mk2 Ibiza 1.4s
Dec 18, 2007
Hartlepool
haha im pro at them, have to do them all the time at the bottom of my road lol
erm im going to be buying baxters setup when he gets some TA ones off polo forum... he doesnt know the make himself since they where on the car when he got it but the back is adjustable coilies and the front might just be spring and shock set, we're not too sure, just have to find out when i takes it apart :)
hopefully the front isnt lower than 60 lol

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
if the back is coilovers, shouldnt the front be aswell?? lol
i dont think shocks springs tend to lower more than 60mm, from what ive seen but i may be wrong lol

well ive bought the koni set :D...just need to get hold of some spring compressors and a big enough socket for the top nuts and im away :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.