What's your opinion? Is the LCR worth the extra running costs over the TDI FR+

Zeap101

Apr 19, 2009
Northumberland
Ladies and gents, can I have your opinion please?

I have an FR+ TDI which I love. I've always wanted a LCR from the moment I saw one as an 18 year teenager. I'm now nearly 27 and own an FR+, I have also owner a 04 Cupra TDi. I do love it but...

I've owned diesel cars for years now. I think it's any age thing. What with mortgages, bills, and a future child, I can't afford to run a petrol.... or can I?

I mean, the reason I bought an FR+ was to get the looks I wanted with economy. Im sure that's the only reason we buy them anyway and i'm sure i'm not the only one?

SO WHY DO I NOT FEEL SATISFIED? WHY DO I FIND MYSELF CONSTANTLY LOOKING FOR LCR'S FOR SALE EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE SAME CAR BUT WHICH IS CHEAPER TO RUN AND STILL FAST AND NICE TO DRIVE.

Does anyone else get/had this feeling?

I have never driven a LCR and my question.... is it worth the FUEL, TAX AND INSURANCE hike for 70 odd bhp? Should I get one and just buy more 'spartprice' food?

Now LCR drivers will say - YES and FR drivers will say NO. Has anyone owned both? All opinions would be interesting...

Thanks for reading my whining :D

Rich

Not quite the exact question as I have an LC that is nicely modded into a fast, comfortable drivers car.

I REALLY need a diesel as I'm doing 22k a year which works out at around 350-400 notes a month on fuel.

I've nearly sold it several times to get a diesel estate (which I know I need) but I can't bring myself to do it....

....which in some way part answers your question.

Having said that, stick a remap on the FR+ and I'd keep it all day long in your position....a mapped FR+ is a pretty good drive so I hear...

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Hi Rich.
I was the same, from the moment I saw the LCR I wanted one.
I worked my way up through the Ibizas to the MK4 Cupra and now at 23 I own an LCR.

Only reason not to own an LCR, Running costs.
If your concerned abuot running costs I'd stick with something more economical.

Had I had ANY sense in my head at all I'd have a daily/mrs car be a Skoda Fabia 1.9TDI for our lengthy jaunts and the LCR for my enjoyable weekends with the Car club.

Sadly she drives a **** 1.0Arosa and I drive an LCR.
Mines too fast and uneconomical to drive everywhere... Plus I want to keep the miles low and her's is useless above 60MPH as it drinks fuel.

Personally if you can get yourself a daily Diesel or old car thats economical and an LCR for enjoying on the weekends.

If your mileage limit on the LCR is low your insurance will be cheap because for driving to and from work you'll only use your derv.

Thats my opinion and its what I'd do if I had a second chance.

Zeap101

Apr 19, 2009
Northumberland
Andy

It's a bloke thing. I just think we can't part with the power. I would remap but it seems like it's 50:50 that it will ruin your clutch and that's something I can't be bothered with!

CJ, I had considered that and I fancied one of those Arosas. What are they like? Do the 1ltr ones burn petrol at higher speeds. You can pick S reg ones up for £800. It would be a good idea as my commute is only a 16mile round trip. We do travel alot though but the other half has a tcdi fiesta zetec s which is nippy but cheap to run.... but... it's not a SEAT!

If I sold my car I could maybe get a good LCR and a banger Arosa. PLAN. BANG!

Andy

It's a bloke thing. I just think we can't part with the power. I would remap but it seems like it's 50:50 that it will ruin your clutch and that's something I can't be bothered with!

CJ, I had considered that and I fancied one of those Arosas. What are they like? Do the 1ltr ones burn petrol at higher speeds. You can pick S reg ones up for £800. It would be a good idea as my commute is only a 16mile round trip. We do travel alot though but the other half has a tcdi fiesta zetec s which is nippy but cheap to run.... but... it's not a SEAT!

Can't fault your logic there mate!! Don't get me wrong,I curse my car on a daily basis as the fuel costs...but then I get in it for a spirited weekend drive in the country and she still, after 6 years, puts a grin on my face....she's a keeper!!! lol maybe I should marry the car!!

I toyed myself recently with the banger option....spend say £500 on a diesel runabout and keep the nice car (my case LC, for you probably an LCR?)...definitely worth a thought..

Zeap101

Apr 19, 2009
Northumberland
CJ, have you ever driven a leon 150pd?
What's our opinion between the the 225 LCR and 150pd as a daily driver? Which is best?

I just think the LCR looks deserve 225bhp, not a rattley deisel engine, regardsless of running cost (I want the brakes too!)

Zeap101

Apr 19, 2009
Northumberland
Can't fault your logic there mate!! Don't get me wrong,I curse my car on a daily basis as the fuel costs...but then I get in it for a spirited weekend drive in the country and she still, after 6 years, puts a grin on my face....she's a keeper!!! lol maybe I should marry the car!!

I toyed myself recently with the banger option....spend say £500 on a diesel runabout and keep the nice car (my case LC, for you probably an LCR?)...definitely worth a thought..

But another car means more insurance, tax, servcing, tyres, space somewhere to park it, something else to wash an hoover out etc etc.

500quid on a diesle runabout.... bah, that's gunna be some quality motor :cartman:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Andy

My mrs bought a 1L Arosa and to be fair had I been there on purchase I would of turned it away. Notoriously bad pedal boxes that snap all the time.

This is the second pedal box the car has had, it broke so we had to have it welded with a new clutch. 1st gear is notchy as hell and their basically throw away cars, good daily drivers but don't expect much.

Dont bother with anything but the 1.4TDI but their as rare as rocking horse s*** I've been on the scout for a good sub 80,000 miler for a while but no Joy.

Arosa 1.4TDI would be my ideal second daily car with an LCR for the weekends!
1L however is utterly gutless, it really struggles and I wouldn't recommend it unless you live IN london and never wandered above 30-40

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
I find powerful cars ironic, my lc is no slouch at 220 stage 1 ish, but i drive it far slower than the previous 1.4 and 1.6 stilos i had,

another thing that backs my case,

next time you're rolling down a 3 lane motorway, you'll se a bmw 330ci hugging the left lane at 70 guaranteed....

id have an fr/tdi spec car circa 200-240 bhp over an LC/LCR

Luckily my lc is a social car, transit does the work, :)

Henjo24

You only live once so enjoy your life and buy what you want. Ive got a fiance and 2 year old daughter I work 60hrs a week pay my morgage and never miss a bill. My previous car was a phase 2 clio 172 and my fiance was going mad about how much petrol I was putting in it so we sold it and bought an 05 vectra 1.9 cdti after just 3 weeks of owning the vectra I was going nuts it was pure anal had no alloys was soooo slow and made me cry when I got in it I could not handle the torture so I dipped into my life long savings and found and bought a LCR for $4900 with just 50k on the clock after seriously licking my g/f's beaver to soften her up so I could get one.

Anyway point is if you want an LCR get 1 :)

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
it depends what you want from a car,

I wouldnt sell my LC (LC/LCR drink the same relative) because of what ive put into it, but id of got an fr+ instead if id known at the start

grass is greener scenario i guess!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise