Wheel Bolts - Urgent advice please!

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Hi all!

I've just fitted SEAT Sport OZ Super T's to my Mk2 Ibiza.

Question is am I OK using the Mk2's original wheel bolts or are the MK3 Ibiza's bolts(specifically the Cupra R's) different in any way.

Whilst tightening one of the rear bolts it twisted and fractured!!! - Tried another bolt which engaged the thread OK, but although theres resistance, it seams to not want to torque up (I think the thread in the disk may be knackered!!).

Advice much appreciated as I'll be popping down the dealer at lunch to order new bolts if required!!

Cheers

DC

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
should be ok using the OE bolts, just check that the seats (where the bolt sits in the wheel) is correct to the bolt seat, ie. radiused or tapered.

make sure you get at least 7 turns on the bolt also and that the wheels spin ok.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Cheers Saul!

Is there a noticable difference between radius and tapered? -

Looking at the Original bolts they seem to have a radius seat - but I can't be sure!

Anyone know if OZ wheels are radius or tapered?

Cheers

DC

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
have a look inside the bolt holes, you can see and feel the difference, i think the SEAT Sport Super T's are radiused, but id check to make sure (normal oz super t's are tapred)

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Update:

Been to the Dealer where the parts dept. checked the etka system and assured me the mk2 and mk3 Ibiza share the same wheel bolts.

A technician also mentioned that they have had a number of bolts shear in two when tightening!

I will check the seating (radius/tapered) with a spare identical spare alloy I have tonight!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Hi all!

I've just fitted SEAT Sport OZ Super T's to my Mk2 Ibiza.

Question is am I OK using the Mk2's original wheel bolts or are the MK3 Ibiza's bolts(specifically the Cupra R's) different in any way.

Whilst tightening one of the rear bolts it twisted and fractured!!! - Tried another bolt which engaged the thread OK, but although theres resistance, it seams to not want to torque up (I think the thread in the disk may be knackered!!).

Advice much appreciated as I'll be popping down the dealer at lunch to order new bolts if required!!

Cheers

DC

1) check with the new wheel manufacture if cone or radius - if cone you WILL require new bolts and possible a revised torque figure.

2) check how much thread is sticking out of the original wheel bolt setup - it should be the same on the new wheel if not buy replacements that are of the CORRECT lenght [rule of thumb at least 1D = 14mm of thread to screw into the hub] - too short and the wheel could fall off too long and the wheel may rip the ABS pick up sensors etc.

3) if you have a accident that is related to these wheel & bolts, insurance null/void sorry to be a bore I found out the hard way!!??

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
1) check with the new wheel manufacture if cone or radius - if cone you WILL require new bolts and possible a revised torque figure.

2) check how much thread is sticking out of the original wheel bolt setup - it should be the same on the new wheel if not buy replacements that are of the CORRECT lenght [rule of thumb at least 1D = 14mm of thread to screw into the hub] - too short and the wheel could fall off too long and the wheel may rip the ABS pick up sensors etc.

3) if you have a accident that is related to these wheel & bolts, insurance null/void sorry to be a bore I found out the hard way!!??

Cheers for the pointers!

Why would a revised torque figure be rquired for a tapered/cone bolt - would it be less due to the shape causing greater susceptibility to fracture???

DC

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Cheers for the pointers!

Why would a revised torque figure be rquired for a tapered/cone bolt - would it be less due to the shape causing greater susceptibility to fracture???

DC
Torque figures MAY be revised the new wheel manufacture should be able to advise if they ARE NOT radial seating 112ftps comes to mind but check first??!!

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Update:

The OZ alloys appear to be a radius seat so I'am using the 25mm original bolts.

On both the standard 8v and OZ alloys there's 17mm of thread to screw into the hub/disk.

I checked all threads were OK, replaced the fractured bolt (and another that appeared to have stretched!!) and once fitted carefully torqued all bolts in sequence to 110 NM with no probs. I think I may have been a bit aggressive in tightening them before!

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
the cupra R bolts wont be the same as the cupra as the OE bolts are radius but the OZ ones are tapered.

i found this fitting my new super Ls this week...noticeable difference between radius and tapered

it seems like radius type is fine to use as i fitted my wheels using both types but it was dodgy and i removed them.

be careful

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
the cupra R bolts wont be the same as the cupra as the OE bolts are radius but the OZ ones are tapered.

i found this fitting my new super Ls this week...noticeable difference between radius and tapered

it seems like radius type is fine to use as i fitted my wheels using both types but it was dodgy and i removed them.

be careful

As Saul said previously I think the SEAT Sport OZ Super T's are radiused! - My local dealership checked the ETKA system and they were 99% shure its the same bolt as the standard Cupra!

Has anyone got a picture of a Tapered and Radiused bolt to compare?

Cheers

DC

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
you cant really tell just by looking at the seat inside the wheel and as said when i stuck my oe radius bolts in they seemed to sit in fine. but if OZ supply tapered bolts with their alloys, then it must be for a reason

now the mk3 CUPRA has radius fitment bolts like mk2s but i'd bet a fiver the CUPRA R doesnt

i will try to take a picture in the next hour to show you a tapered bolt as this was an issue for me just this week

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Cheers! that would be helpful!

Though as you said, its hard to identify the seating by looking and its this that I need confirmation of!

acidstrato - on a seperate issue! - did you say you have a mk3 20vt centre section spare!

Last edited:

edc

Blue Leather &amp;amp; Shiny Bits
Feb 8, 2002
Surrey
www.clairecoileytrust.com
The seating is deffinately NOT \/ straight!

So tapered seating is very straight then!? - it doesn't have even the slightest bit of radius to it?

Who's got a Ibiza Cupra R who can confirm?

Cheers

DC

Trust me, look at the bolts and you can tell. One is distinctly curved whilst the other isn't. Peering down a dark bolt hole to see what type of bolt the wheel takes won't be so easy though!

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
OZ supplied tapered wheel bolts

taperedbolt.jpg

radius seated wheel bolts

bolt_lg.jpg

based on what saul is saying I could be wrong since he did have a Cupra R, but it seems very odd to me.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.