Wheel rust should I worry

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Please see below,is this normal or something to worry about.Its on a 2017 FR and I’m due to buy or return in few months.
Thanks

4106-DD73-CFE5-409-E-B5-C2-9-E1-C1598287-D.jpg

B866-F3-AB-D583-4-E4-E-8234-45600-D141-DF2.jpg

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
Just rust on the brake disks. Totally normal and shouldn't be an issue for the lease/loan company. Does look a bit **** though. Of you end up buying it I'd paint the centres of the disks next time you change them. That's what I'm going to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Just rust on the brake disks. Totally normal and shouldn't be an issue for the lease/loan company. Does look a bit **** though. Of you end up buying it I'd paint the centres of the disks next time you change them. That's what I'm going to do.

The disks I know happens and goes when I drive but was more specific about the big round bit between the wheel and disks ?

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
What you are seeing is actually still part of the disk, not actually the alloy wheel. I've attached a pic of mine below. But if you look from this angle you can see where the wheel meets the disk right behind the wheel. And mine have ruseted in the centre too!
6f83e69cacf6e44c35de9e2102eebe0c.jpg

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Nothing to worry about. This is a common thing in the VWROC group I’m in. You can mask them and paint them with Smoothrite on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
If you paint it use VHT paint, it gets very hot there and normal paint can burn. Personally I wouldn't worry, i just use an iron remover product on the wheels anyway to clean them, and that regularly removes light rust.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Even after a rain shower, the bottom half of my discs brakes face would show signs of rust..I often wonder how this happens so quickly.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
It happens because its exposed cast Iron (or mild steel), so will start to rust immediately.

If you are bothered by it you can spay a solution of Bilt Hamber Atom-mac on them after every use, or every wash. Its a corrosion inhibitor specifically designed for this sort of thing.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Even after a rain shower, the bottom half of my discs brakes face would show signs of rust..I often wonder how this happens so quickly.

Yes, bare iron or steel will very quickly corrode when exposed to water, hence why a thin layer of rust will form on the brake disc surface when rain or water used for washing your car makes contact with it. This thin layer of rust soon disappears when the brakes are applied and the pads make contact with the brake disc surface.

As for the centre section of the disc that’s attached to the hub and doesn’t get cleaned by the brake pads under braking - @Betts-4; no lease company should penalise you for this when you return your current car as it’s normal on unprotected iron / steel. If the centre section of the discs on your next car are similarly unprotected and it bothers you, as other have said, remove any surface rust with wet and dry abrasive paper and then paint them with either Hammerite paint or a high temperature paint.

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
This stuff is great we use it in the shipping industry. I've always said when I get then chance I needs to get my car up on the ramp and paint the underside with it. That would tidy it up and stop rust from coming back!
6c994e0813dcc1083c78da5e096d2db6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I had returned a Leon, and an Ibiza with hubs? that had rust like the pictures above, BCA didn't bother looking there (and I had black rims, so it would stand out, they were more interested in bodywork dings, and curbed alloys. Or they were busy complimenting me how great i kept my car. If you are really worried, perhaps clean up he exhaust tips? That one they will definately see, and comment if they are clean and shiny :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise