Wheel spacer query!

JoshSimpson

Ive had my FR lowered on eibach sportlines and want to space the rear wheels about a bit as they look lost now, was just wondering what most people go for?

Can get a set of 16mm spacers (8mm each side) what length bolts would you need?

Cheers, Josh

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
for 8mm spacers, you'll need bolts that are 8mm longer than standard. I've got 10mm spacers on each corner so my bolts are 10mm longer than standard.

FR_Flavoured

Yes, add at least the thickness of the Spacer, to the overall length of the extended Bolts.

An alternative option is to buy (Eibach) HUBCENTRIC Spacers.
These Spacers bolt directly to your Hub with bolts included, that then sit flush.
Then, you use your normal wheel bolts to bolt your wheel back on as normal.

^ A great option if you have Chrome or some special wheel bolts you want to carry on using, after fitting a set of Spacers.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I think there's a general rule with bolts not quite sure what it is.. something like 2 1/2 ful turns and they'll hold the wheel on just fine! Don't quote me but you're best just getting 10mm longer bolts.
Old engineering rule of thumb thread depth should be : 1.2 x bolt dia = >14mm [ especially for a high torque/stress fixing] alternatively put the old bolt in the wheel, measure the lengh exposed at the back - that should be your thread lengh plus what ever spacer thickness you are going for. also note ONLY use "concentric hub spacers" on a diesel - due to the high torque loading available and will assist spread the loading etc. ......................................................

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Yes, add at least the thickness of the Spacer, to the overall length of the extended Bolts.

An alternative option is to buy (Eibach) HUBCENTRIC Spacers.
These Spacers bolt directly to your Hub with bolts included, that then sit flush.
Then, you use your normal wheel bolts to bolt your wheel back on as normal.

^ A great option if you have Chrome or some special wheel bolts you want to carry on using, after fitting a set of Spacers.

They sound just what I need- who sells them to suit the Mk2 Leon?

FR_Flavoured

jcp, great! :) The links posted by OldOiler above provide suitable Spacers.

System A above is just a standard Spacer, where you use conventional longer Bolts, to hold everything together.

HOWEVER... You will want System B or System B+ , as these Spacers first bolt to the Hub.
Then you put your wheel in place and bolt it to the Spacer.

....Another sign is the fact these have twice as many holes! :D

Thinking about it further, if you have THICK (wide) Spacers (ie: 15mm or more), then the Hubcentric type will be more appropriate.
However if the Spacer is relatively thin to begin with, you can probably get away with bolting the lot together using extended bolts?

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
I fitted 10mm spacers to the front and its lowered on prolines and koni suspension but if i go over a sharp bump the wheel is catching on something . Its on std 18" bbs's. No sign of wear on the arches so i dnt kno what its hitting

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I fitted 10mm spacers to the front and its lowered on prolines and koni suspension but if i go over a sharp bump the wheel is catching on something . Its on std 18" bbs's. No sign of wear on the arches so i dnt kno what its hitting

That does assume std VAG wheels too, if none std then bolt length will change[18"BBS]

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Can we get some pictures uploaded of wheel spaced leons? :p
im tempted to buy but dont know how it would look? I got Eibach sportlines with 18" standard wheels.

Any poctures would be awesome!
Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members