Wheel Spin in wet, 1st to 4th gear

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Hello all,
just want to reach out to you all, my wheel spin in the wet is atrocious i nearly ended up in the ditch the other day. in the wet or even just with a mildly wet road my ESP in constantly kicking in, i.e. on the way home the other night, it was wet so i decided to put the foot down in 4th gear at 50mph, the ESP light stayed on the whole way to 80mph and i could feel the front wheels struggling for traction. it is almost at a stage now wear i have to constantly feature the throttle.

I have an aggressive map on her alright and a new set of dunlop SP9090 which are not the best I'll give you that, but should it be this bad.?

i am finding it a real struggle to get the power down in the wet, 1st to 3rd and even 4th sometimes are just a joke unless i drive like a granny, my mods are below which did help a bit, but for sure its still hard work.

any suggestion, braking and cornering are spot.

Thanks

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Hello all,
just want to reach out to you all, my wheel spin in the wet is atrocious i nearly ended up in the ditch the other day. in the wet or even just with a mildly wet road my ESP in constantly kicking in, i.e. on the way home the other night, it was wet so i decided to put the foot down in 4th gear at 50mph, the ESP light stayed on the whole way to 80mph and i could feel the front wheels struggling for traction. it is almost at a stage now wear i have to constantly feature the throttle.

I have an aggressive map on her alright and a new set of dunlop SP9090 which are not the best I'll give you that, but should it be this bad.?

i am finding it a real struggle to get the power down in the wet, 1st to 3rd and even 4th sometimes are just a joke unless i drive like a granny, my mods are below which did help a bit, but for sure its still hard work.

any suggestion, braking and cornering are spot.

Thanks

tyres

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Get some better tyres for a start!

Failing that you need to do a "right foot adjustment" its sounds as though your right foot maybe going straight to the floor its a common problem with many cars not just leons.

Ha ha

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
This is because people who own all kinds of nice fast cars aren't willing to spend much on good tyres. People underestimate how much of an effect tyres can make, but at the end of the day it is your ONLY contact with the road. Get some Asymmetrics and it'll be sorted.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Take the dunlops off. Put some goodyear F1s on and install a big spring under the accelerator pedal to stop it going to the floor so easily..

chrisxr2

Why spend all that money on improving your car only to buy cheap ass tyres. False economy.

jamiebennett81

i.e. on the way home the other night, it was wet so i decided to put the foot down in 4th gear at 50mph, the ESP light stayed on the whole way to 80mph and i could feel the front wheels struggling for traction.

so you are running a remapped car, and decide to put your foot down when it is wet:rolleyes:

threads like this deserve to be mocked.....

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Driving Style

Tyres

At the end of the day, the highway isn't a racetrack and you don't have a pit crew to change tyres if it spits. When the road is wet your *will* suffer lack of adhesion, we all do. Better tyres will help, but with your performance you will be able to provoke wheelspin in the wet very easily.

Book a skid pan session and learn the warning signs and how to control it when it does break away, should you ever decide to switch off the ESP.

Otherwise, drive according to the conditions. If it's wet, slow down. Even Formula 1 drivers do it!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
1) progressive throttle application

2) uprated dogbone mount

3) better tyres

4) beissbarth 4 wheel alignment

even with all the above you can't expect to bend the laws of physics. You're driving a FWD car with high power, uneven length driveshafts, a fairly basic traction system, and you're on public roads which lets face it aren't the greatest surface on earth.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
That's because you are seeing tyres as something you have to buy (like insurance) rather than a performance factor.

When you bought all of your mods:

CC Remap ¦ 269.6 bhp & 308.4 lb/ft ¦ Forge 007p ¦ Samco T.I.P ¦ P-Flo induction ¦ Boost + Oil temp gauges ¦ Ferodo DS2500's ¦ Short Shifter ¦ DBM ¦ H.I.D 6K + LED sides ¦ BlueFlame Cat back ¦ DV relocation ¦ Upper Strut Brace ¦ Blue hose kit ¦

did you think the same, for example?

Last edited:

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
so you are running a remapped car, and decide to put your foot down when it is wet:rolleyes:

threads like this deserve to be mocked.....

totally disagree, this open forum. i am not looking for super duper performance in the wet, but it is a real struggle to get the power down, i do change my driving style for the wet but it still sucks, and for the future instead of giving negative posts your energy might be better served with some positive attitude.:D

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
That's because you are seeing tyres as something you have to buy (like insurance) rather than a performance factor.

When you bought all of your mods:

CC Remap ¦ 269.6 bhp & 308.4 lb/ft ¦ Forge 007p ¦ Samco T.I.P ¦ P-Flo induction ¦ Boost + Oil temp gauges ¦ Ferodo DS2500's ¦ Short Shifter ¦ DBM ¦ H.I.D 6K + LED sides ¦ BlueFlame Cat back ¦ DV relocation ¦ Upper Strut Brace ¦ Blue hose kit ¦

did you think the same, for example?

i looked around for these tyres, they got a good review off the type testing websites and even a few people on here, had toyo proxies t1s the last time, same deal.

maybe some stronger front end bushes could help???, already put on a DBM and it made a difference.

jamiebennett81

totally disagree, this open forum. i am not looking for super duper performance in the wet, but it is a real struggle to get the power down, i do change my driving style for the wet but it still sucks, and for the future instead of giving negative posts your energy might be better served with some positive attitude.:D

no I talk from experience, having had a few remapped cars and being on this forum for sometime

and I have plenty of positive attitude, but only where its due, and clearly not in this instance

if its wet, and you know there wont be any grip, then why put your foot down?

from owning and running remapped cars, wheel spin only tends to occur from planting too much of the throttle

if it's wet, then you can drive a turbo aspirated car perfectly fine and at reasonable speed in line with the rest of the traffic and also doing this by staying off the boost, thus preventing wheel spin

what answers did you expect from posting this......:rolleyes: