Wheel Width

RedToBlack

Hey guys, I'm looking at a set of new rims...but I'm unsure about the width with my tires, I've been told that it doesn't matter that much really, but would 205/45/16 fit on 16x7 wheels?

Thanks

Mckellar

yeah they would, probs 195/45/16 would do it for a 7" rim mate

Ive got 195/45/16 on an 8J rim and its got a nice stretch.

my 16v ronals were 7J and 195/45/16

RedToBlack

well its just i've got 205/45's on just now, and i just want new rims as one of my wheels is buckled :( (not my crap drivin, didnt pay attention when i got the wheels) so they'l fit yea?

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
I've got 205'40's on the rear of my car, on a 7.5" wheel. Doesn't look silly to me. The tyre wall has a bit of angle to it leaning in... I gues if it went on a 7" wheel it would probably sit pretty square with the rim!

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
...might look a bit silly though, cos the tread will be wider than the wheel...
7J rim = 7" between mounting beads = 177.8mm
205 tyre = 205mm nominal tread width

Many cars run a wider tyre width than the wheel - e.g. 195 on 6J (mk2 2.0 16v's for example), so long as you don't go too mad it's not a problem. As a rough rule of thumb, wheel rim width plus 50mm is about as far as you can safely go - go wider than that and you run the risk of tyres popping off rims under high cornering loads.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
weirdly enough, when reading this thread i thought "this is a question for glyn"

doo de doo doo :blink:

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
Then again, you've taken the width between tyre beads, whereas the tyre tread dimension runs right to the walls does it not? Therefore you should be measuring it as an 8j rim?... Or am I just being an idiot?!!

8inches - ABOUT 204mm.... not far off 205!!!

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
are the 16v ronals not 7J?
No. They're 6J.

Mark_W said:
Then again, you've taken the width between tyre beads, whereas the tyre tread dimension runs right to the walls does it not? Therefore you should be measuring it as an 8j rim?... Or am I just being an idiot?!!
I've taken the wheel width as being the width between the beads because this is the dimension that wheel width refers to. A 7J rim should be 7" between the inner face of the beads. And as for tyre sizes... Bear in mind that all tyre sizes are NOMINAL and there's some quite horrific rounding errors. A manufacturer is well within their rights to sell anything with a tread width between 200 and 209.99999999 as a 205. And don't think it's cut and dried at that point either - quite what constitutes the tread width isn't as black and white as you might think - some manufacturers include part of the shoulder in the tread width, but some don't.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
As a rough rule of thumb, wheel rim width plus 50mm is about as far as you can safely go - go wider than that and you run the risk of tyres popping off rims under high cornering loads.

My mate got 195/40 16" on his 8J cossie rims and the stretch on them..... mmmmm, he had a load of people commenting that the tyre's will "pop off" but almost a year now and they still on the car and he does abuse it a bit.

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
...My mate got 195/40 16" on his 8J cossie rims and the stretch on them...
My earlier post was actually about putting wide tyres on a narrow rim - by so doing, the tyre bead is always wanting to pop past the wheel bead, and under high cornering loads can do exactly that. Which is not good.

Certain wheels can take stretched tyres better than others - wheels intended to take tubless tyres have a profile that "catches" the inside edge of the tyre bead. A more pronounced "lump" will result in a wheel that takes a stretched tyre that bit better...

I say "wheels intended to take tubeless tyres" as the wheels on my old Alfa aren't... Not a concern with modern cars where pretty much everything takes tubeless, but worth checking on older cars - or retro wheels, if that kinda thing floats your boat.

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
Hopkingsmemsns I can see what you mean... I rememer joining the bandwagon in fitting 175'50's to a set of 13's, The difference between a set of Toyo Proxes and Dunlop SP9000's was probably about 3/4's of an inch in width!! Couldn't believe they were the same tyre!!

As for 195/40 on an 8J rim, thats gonna be a LOT of stretch, I've got 195 45 on the front of mine and that has about a 25 to 30 degree angle tyre wall. I'll be replacing them (very soon from the last check) with a set of 195 40 to match the rear 205 40 better (tyre wall at front is bigger - i know its all to do with ratios and percentages and all that crap, it still looks noticeably bigger)

Anyways, from seeing 195'40s stretch on a Corrado with the same wheels as me I decided it needed to be done on mine!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.