Where is the injection regulator on a 110 Tdi

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
This is the problem

Ok, my mates tdi has developed a strange one, will not start intialy, takes about 15 secs on starter then eventiually fires up. but once running it so loud under the bonnett, does not boost, and loads of black smoke if revvd. it also hunts on idle.

plugged in vagcom and under engine block got

17656 - Injection Start Regulation: Control Deviation
P1248 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

any ideas exactly what this is and where do we start to try and fix it.

oh its a 110 tdi engine, has about 140,000. this problm appeared overnight without warning, next morning it just would not start.

So where would we find this unit, has had clean Diesel put through the car to take Petrol in the tank out of the equation, had the fuel filter changed.

Amy clues guys, and is the injection regulator on top of the injector on cylinder 3???

Cubix

I wonder if you are on about the fuel timing solenoid. If you are and it is a AFN type tdi engine then this solenoid should be just to the left of the dipstick as you are standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay.

It definitely sounds like the car has a mechanical fuel timing problem. My car had the same for a while when i first bought it many years ago and I also have the AFN engine. It was very hard to start especially when it was cold and when it finally did start there was this husge cloud of sooty smoke for a few seconds. After the fuel timing was adjusted manually it was sorted.

Hope this helps.

If you can pm me your email I can maybe send you a pic of where it is so you can identify it better?

Last edited by a moderator: