Which battery?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I always use Tanya.co.uk and go for either Varta or Bosch.

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Breakdown recovery kindly diagnosed a faulty car battery cell with my 08 Leon FR TDI, I think it's almost dead as nothing now works other than the alarm LED! Is there anything I need to be aware of before swapping the battery out? I've found the radio code just in case, but keep hearing reports of key fobs not working after battery disconnection. Also hints on how to remove the battery would be handy - still on the original battery so first time replace. New battery due to be delivered this week.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

Reactions: Goot

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
When new battery is fitted the car will take 20mins to relearn afew perimeters so make sure first drive it over 20mins

Good call on taking the car out for 20+ min drive. New battery installed, left it a couple of hours and took the car out on the motorway. Dash initially lit up like Blackpool Illuminations, very juddery drive first 5 mins. Followed by a DPF regen and lights went out. Car and driver are happy once again

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
When my battery gave up last year I got a replacement by Exide for around £60. It's what Seat fitted from the factory (with some VW stickers on it) and it lasted 9 years so I didn't see the need to spend any more than that on a 'better' battery.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Good call on taking the car out for 20+ min drive. New battery installed, left it a couple of hours and took the car out on the motorway. Dash initially lit up like Blackpool Illuminations, very juddery drive first 5 mins. Followed by a DPF regen and lights went out. Car and driver are happy once again

A good indication you have some underlying issues the car is trying its best to deal with.

I've had the battery disconnected on my CR170 maybe 6 or 7 times over the last 5 years. I've never done any sort of calibration drive afterwards nor is any such thing recommended in Seat's servicing manuals. I've never had any problems at all during initial drives after battery disconnection.

Reactions: Goot

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Whilst we're on the subject of batteries, I noticed the batteries for my 184 diesel are ~£300+ because it has stop/start. I've disabled stop/start permanently with Carista, can I fit a battery for a 2.0 diesel that doesn't have stop/start ie a 'normal' priced one?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Battery for stop/start are not normal lead acid type, hence more expensive, my techs would not fit an incorrect battery to a s/s car, I trusted them so they must know something, they do the extra courses for new stuff.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Battery for stop/start are not normal lead acid type, hence more expensive, my techs would not fit an incorrect battery to a s/s car, I trusted them so they must know something, they do the extra courses for new stuff.

Yes, models with start / stop are different of course. From the first post I see it's a 2.0 diesel so no SS on the car in question.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise