Which Big Brake Kit?

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
Hi all,

I'm turning my 2001 Seat Leon Cupra which I've now owned for 10 years :ban: into a track car (will have it MOT'd but definitely not a daily!). Its been stripped inside, just a Sparco bucket and 6 point harness and the passenger seat (will soon move the battery into the spare wheel well to help balance the weight a bit). Dash is left alone at the moment but will probably get to work on that when I remove the AC. Poly carb windows and a lick of paint inside also coming up in the future. Just fitted Bilstein B16s, refurbed the control arms and popped in a set of poly bushes, new track rod ends and ball joints and tarted up the hub carrier. Also went for a pair of Eibach ARB's front and back. Went to refit the brakes and the bleed nipples gave way so I now have a great excuse for a BBK! I know alot of people go for the LCR brembos but im sold on the idea now.

I've narrowed it down to either the Brembo GT (330mm drilled disk, 4pots) or the Tarox (330mm grooved disk, 6 pots) which are pretty much equal on price and how much I want to spend. I've got an RS4 and the pins on the brembo calipers are rusted and jammed which really puts me off the Brembos but it is some years old now. The Tarox have retaining bolts rather than pins - much better design feature in my opinion - thought about tapping the RS4 calipers but theres not actually much meat on them . Anyone got any experience of either caliper?!? Alot of people say Brembos because they've heard of them rather than because they know them to be the best! I've been googling for days and not found much concrete to go on! I'm sure both are great in honesty but I just cant decide! I know i cant really go wrong but If someone has first hand experience of either it would be great to hear from you! Thanks in advance!

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I would've thought Badger Bill would be the person to talk too.

Ignoring your thoughts, I would've gone for the Tarox brakes anyhow. Just a personal opinion and I know many out there would go for the Brembo's. I try to be objective rather than be swayed by names/branding.

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
Thanks for the reply - I'm the same, facts win over names every time. I just cant seem to find any... 6 is better than 4 though right?!?:shrug:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if you have or can get LCR brembos or GT juniors or better still some AP 4pots you could replicate what I'm running on my ibiza.. (which runs a fully floating version of our 335x28 LCR kit)
works lovely for me.
Fixed bolted 330-335mm kit also available
Decent pads and fluid its a decent setup.
If you wanted larger diameter rotors then 6pots will be required for the correct sweep.

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
Thanks Bill! No, I think 330 will be more than big enough for what I'm up to and probably future proofed! Looks like this settles it: http://www.reyland.co.uk/seat-leon/ :D ! I only run decent fluid which will be replaced at the same time and they come with DS2500s which is what I got from you and ran on the OE caliper - I'm assuming nothings changed?

Will probably be paying you a visit next year when my track skills have improved enough to warrant proper power mods! Cheers!

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Thanks Bill! No, I think 330 will be more than big enough for what I'm up to and probably future proofed! Looks like this settles it: http://www.reyland.co.uk/seat-leon/ :D ! I only run decent fluid which will be replaced at the same time and they come with DS2500s which is what I got from you and ran on the OE caliper - I'm assuming nothings changed?

Will probably be paying you a visit next year when my track skills have improved enough to warrant proper power mods! Cheers!

ds2500 are decent..
some heavier cars like S3 benefit from DS3000's

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
ds2500 are decent..
some heavier cars like S3 benefit from DS3000's

I was warned off the DS3000's by Reyland. They said due to the different resin compound if they are not heated properly they can not only perform badly but also leave deposits on the disk (said they had back multiple disks for skimming but didn't actually need to take any actual disk material off). Recommended the CL RC6's if wanting a higher temp pad.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I was warned off the DS3000's by Reyland. They said due to the different resin compound if they are not heated properly they can not only perform badly but also leave deposits on the disk (said they had back multiple disks for skimming but didn't actually need to take any actual disk material off). Recommended the CL RC6's if wanting a higher temp pad.

that would be bollocks if they're bedded in properly..
judder from pad deposits can occur on any pad where not bedded in as per manufacturers instructions..

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.