which car for a mammoth trip

redrobo150

Jul 24, 2006
ilson
hi all

which car would be the best for a trip to greece and back.,,seat leon cupra mk2 or a ibiza se 1.6 petrol whic averages 38 mph compaired to 28 for the cupra
would the ibiza struggle with suitcases and 2 adults compaired to the cupras better torque
any advice please

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Cupra, you'll easily see more than 30mpg as well so long you don't drive like a lunatic all the way there. I drove to London from Central Scotland on a full tank of fuel. The light didn't come on till I hit 420mls and that was sitting at 75-80mph 90% of the way.

redrobo150

Jul 24, 2006
ilson
Cupra, you'll easily see more than 30mpg as well so long you don't drive like a lunatic all the way there. I drove to London from Central Scotland on a full tank of fuel. The light didn't come on till I hit 420mls and that was sitting at 75-80mph 90% of the way.

ive never had more than300 mls from a full tank in 6 years of owning the mk2 cupra,which has allways been motorway mls between 75-80mph

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Mines on 340 right now with 35 miles left according to the trip, that's with mixed driving and some stop/start.

Sent from LG G2 using Tuppytalk

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
ive never had more than300 mls from a full tank in 6 years of owning the mk2 cupra,which has allways been motorway mls between 75-80mph

Then there something wrong with it mate lol.

Drove to London and back (420 miles each way) twice now and I can make it all the way down plus driving about when I get there on one tank and I'm running 370bhp.

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
Yep just because your all motorway it doesnt make a difference if you have a poor/uneconomical driving style

Redrobo are you buying this car or do you own both, I would have thought an FR 2bh, you would get very good mpg on a longtrip like that but if your set on a petrol its not worth being stuck with a diesel for the rest of your ownership because of one trip

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
I would say the cupra, the Ibiza is a good car but it is a lot smaller than the leon and the road noise is a lot higher.

IMHO I would think the leon would be a better place to be for that journey.

But then again, if you are only going to do that one journey and then not use a cupra the way it should be used I.e tootling to the shops and back, I'd put up with it and go for the Ibiza

redrobo150

Jul 24, 2006
ilson
Question really is ........... What would YOU like to go in ?
Simples :)

i actually own both cars ,it is a mk2 leon cupra 57 reg petrol with stage1 map ccode
but from when i bought it from new 6 years ago i have never managed more than 305 mls for a full tank ,which shows this figure when refuelling on the trip meter.
i drive normal motorway speeds never really go over 85mph

just an example i travelled to brighton and back from ilkeston recently which cost me £90 in fuel

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
Which is more reliable ? Not saying any aren't , but in your eyes which would be?
Comfort - would say the leon all day.
Safest - which would you rather have a shunt in ?
( touch wood you don't )
Fuel - work the difference out on how many miles you will do ( take in account the little 1.6 having to lug the weight ) .
I personally would take the leon.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.