which is faster? petrol or diesel??

Nathan

Leon Cupra R 225
I previously owned a mk3 cupra remaped by revo, and now own a mk4 cupra tdi pd160. I am interested to find out how the performance will differ after the tdi has had the same treatment. Basically I want to know which would be faster. Also how does the mk4 cupra petrol and diesel compare.

Obviously the petrols bhp always has the edge but does the extra tourque give the tdis the edge.

I think this is just wishful thinking but i would be interested to find out how they compare.

cheers,

T. Spark

Im sure this has been covered, real world driving the diesel *for me* is the easier car to drive, and make it go fast! Basically due to not red lining it to get all the performance.

If you drive the diesel like a petrol, then you wont see the gains of using the low down torque at 2k!

Do a search, im sure there is loads of info m8y

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
th TDi feels a lot faster and has a lot of in gear performance, But honestly the 1.8T is very much the faster car, there is no doubt about that!!

gazjones

would go with the 1.8t it has lots of torque for a petrol and another thing that lest the tdis down is the gearing to many changes to get it going i think fr 20vt 60 1 change tdi 2 changes both can be fast though wouldnt say either is slow

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Subjectively speaking... lol

IIRC one of the car magazines did a test between a Golf GTi 150 petrol and the 150 diesel.
The tdi totally blitzed the petrol at everything except the 0-60, even then it was very close.

Id say the TDI is much easier and deceptive to drive quickly due to the torque.. ive easily followed 220+bhp Octavias where they only start to pull away into 3 figure speeds. usually on cross country id leave mine in 4th which is good for about 40mph all the way to 110 :D

gazjones

yea but that is never the same with seats you cant get same car with 150 bhp in petrol and tdi

gazjones

that as well yea they are so differnt i dont think you can compaire them

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
You can compare them... as the exact same car (Ibiza Cupra) can have either the petrol or diesel engines.... comparisons are to be expected... and are quite right. Being honest I would say that the person who wants out and out performance buys the 1.8T, the person who wants performance, but still wants manageable running costs, buys the TDi.

Triple D

Ok maybe you should change your question?
It should be, who has had there mk4 ibiza the fastest, u would know then ;)

so ill start, 153 mph on the road angel ;)

gazjones

kne younwould pop up with your opinion lol standar we are talking lol

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
spaniels fr said:
Ok maybe you should change your question?
It should be, who has had there mk4 ibiza the fastest, u would know then ;)

so ill start, 153 mph on the road angel ;)

maybe it should be tested figures, ie qtr miles or timed 0-60's, Boo hoo, you lose a lot there big turbo boy:p :p \

Trax 0-60 on my 1.8T was 6.32 qtr mile was 14.42, and a 150 showing on the way back from Nurburgring. No two ways about it the 1.8T was the faster car overall.

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
Was that just with a remap ant?

Does anyone have any times for a 1.8T with a remap/zorst on?

My times are in my sig,

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
tonight the Diesel Astra beats the VXR round the track in a head to head race, scary!!!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
yep thats the one,

Although i know a guy who has a 888 Astra diesel as a company car and he said he seriously got pushed by a chipped a VRS Fabia, so should be a good guide to what a good tdi can do.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.