Whining whilst turning

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just since yesterday, im getting whining when driving slowly, or stationary, when turning the wheel either left or right.... its much much more pronounced when holding on full lock (to be expected tho i guess).... does it indicate something going wrong?

mikecupra

But the whining noise is still there when only turning the wheel slightly?Not only on full lock?

mikecupra

Should really get it checked out by a garage,but sounds like it could be the steering pump,or possibly the rack.
Or stating the obvious have you checked the fluid level??

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cheers for the replies, will check out the fluid level tomorrow (the reservior is just up from the washer fluid, isnt it?)

Dunno if its related, but the past few weeks there is an ever so slight play in the steering, like if you rock the wheel the tiniest bit from side to side it kind of rattles as if there is movement...?

Would be typical of this car to make me spend money on it after just spending £600+ notes on the suspension! lol

Revo Kev

www.onlyrevo.com
Feb 24, 2003
www.onlyrevo.com
Sounds like a power steering pump... you might want to check what the hoses do when the wheel is turned, I've seen a couple of cars that put stress on hoses when turning one way and they almost collapse causing the pump to work harder. In fairness both of the cars I've seen it on were modifidied and hoses had been on and off, but hey it's worth checking!

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well it quitened down, but this morning its louder than ever.

Checked the fluid, and even just after the drive to work, it was sitting around the minimum mark, will see what it is later and top it up if its low, but from what ive heard, its time to worry if you have no fluid on the dipstick at all, so at least it doesnt appear to have a leak.

Something just crossed my mind though.... i had the car lowered 30mm about 2 months ago, and all was fine. Then i fitted the rear arb 2 weeks ago... i honestly cant remember the noise before that. Is it possible that the lack of roll has caused the front arb to rub the driveshafts??

Mister_E

Jun 12, 2006
I had the same issue with a mk4 Golf TDI, fluid was at min level. Sound went away after top up

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members