whirring noise coming from inside the engine?

brightsideteeem

I'm not like you guys...
I was just wondering if anybody could help me with a noise im getting from my remapped 110 ASV TDI engine.

Its on the N/S, seems to be coming from quite low in the engine, and it sounds like a "whirring" noise, like a belt or pulley, but there are no belts on that side of the engine.

I did a quick search but as I have no clue what it is, I cant seem to find anything.

Anybody else ever experienced this and point me in the direction of how to fix this, as its beggining to worry me.

Also the car seems to not feel 100%, seems a bit sluggish at low speeds, almost like turbo lag, constantly, even though, the boost guage I have installed is measuring boost.

Any help always appreciated

Rob

EDIT: forgot to mention the car has done nearly 108K miles, and has been serviced at every interval.

attila_tdi

Aug 2, 2009
Hampshire
don't think I can help, but it may be a bearing though that would not explain the lack of power.

Could it be a crack or whole in the turbo system (intake).

If you can get a very long screwdriver and place it (carefully) on a solid metal part of the engine where you think the noise is coming from. Then place your ear on the other end of the screwdriver and that should tell you if its a bearing (i.e. if its loud and rattly).

Other than that not sure soz

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
I had a problem like this once....

Does it whirr faster/louder with the revs of the engine?

Try your air conditioning compressor, turn it on/off with the ECON button and see if the noise goes away?

I managed to get a new compressor on warranty as that was my problem.

Hope that helps, if not, good luck!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
wasnt that, found out it was the airbox. Something stuck inside it somehow, oh well sorted lol

this is digging on old territory if you can remember, what was in your air box to make the noise? im getting this badly not on going from high revs to low, at stationary too (which clears my original gearbox worry)

Cheers m8 :)

-Stu

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.