Whistle on tickover

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
My first post in the soot section ;)

Excuse me if im being a retard but should my 130++++ whistle on tickover, sounded like it was coming from underneath the car (more so towards the middle)?????

It did it last nite but hasnt done it this morning, everything seems fine and its pulling strong.

By the way its Edbutlers old car.

T. Spark

Hiya Jenk,

I find that most mapped PD130's with that sorta exhaust have this, its more than likely the turbo whistling down the exhaust, and your hearing it better due to the fat tip on the end!

If its still happening in 2 weeks I dont mind hearing for noises out of the norm. matey :)

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Sound dude ;)

I had an idea it was the turbo doing its thing but didnt think it would make a noise at tickover.

Being newbie i dont know whats what, soon i shall learn the force :)

Woooop woooop two weeks!!!

T. Spark

Woop woop indeed :)

Ya, its basically the turbo working its magic... I know there is a techy name for it but cant remember it, Ed always used to say it when it kicked in, as it doesnt do it all the time, just after a while on tickover.

Havnt heard anything back from them, so id imagine its going to be in the Sheffield area, i'll drop them a e-mail to confirm tonight matey, and what times we need to meet, if you need to clean your car once you get here (id imagine you would as its sooty :p) then your more than welcome to swing via mine earlier than needs be, and clean it!

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Ahh rite, it has a name. Must find that out so i can impress folk with my knowledge ;)

Cheers bud, it will deffiantly need a clean. All that soot!!!! Must get some more QD, mite get some of that megs last touch.....the gallon size is appealing

T. Spark

Ahh rite, it has a name. Must find that out so i can impress folk with my knowledge ;)

Cheers bud, it will deffiantly need a clean. All that soot!!!! Must get some more QD, mite get some of that megs last touch.....the gallon size is appealing

Turbo chatter or something, im 90% sure of it :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Mine used to emit a high pitched whistle sometimes when it was just sat idling, nothing to worry about :)

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Yeah mate perfectly normal, its just the turbo whirring and as theres no silencers you get the high pitched noise as its probably going about 15000+rpm at idle

Its called Turbo/Boost Creep :) As all the airways have been opened up on the car it makes turbo spin that little bit more at idle; as im assuming the wastegate wont be operating.

I miss that sound, used to get some proper funnly looks at traffic lights "is your car whistling?!" :D