Why was my dash cam unplugged for an oil change service

Supercopa Dan

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com
This has been playing on my mind a little because I look after my cars.

I had an oil change service today at Listers SEAT Coventry. It was a collect and delivery from where I work in Nuneaton. I have had this service before so didn't think anything of it.

When I got in the car to drive home from work I noticed that the car was in "CUPRA mode" (left in sport), the dash cam was unplugged and the radio station had been changed (Radio 1 Xtra if that makes a difference) when I turned it on. I have never had this or any other dealer unplug the dash cam on any previous visits. Neither has the drive mode been touched.

I know that the delivery driver has not been "having a play" as the car was showing 35.8MPG (since start) when I started it for the drive home. Also the dash cam footage of his drive to the dealership in the morning saw a max GPS speed of 64mph on a motorway. The kind of guy that looks after your stuff.

Am I just being paranoid or has the technician likely been out for a joyride in my car?

My biggest concern is that he changed the oil, ragged the tits off it from cold then parked it up ready to be delivered back to me when the delivery driver became free!

Also they had no business touching my dash cam.

Lister Coventry did the same with my cupra! First service they did over a year ago they left dash cam on watching the guy clean the car was embarrassing. Second service dash cam unplugged and then had car go in for warranty replacement wheel bearing and the dash cam was unplugged from unit.

Listers Coventry arnt great to be honest but better than motor vogue Northampton and oxford seat. Never rate seat garages. Thank god I love there cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
It's probably standard practice, not because the technician wants to rag the car, but probably because the managers don't want customers hearing about 'some wee dirty the technician pumped at the weekend.'

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
It's unprofessional, if it bothers you, feedback to the servicing manager, might get some goodwill.
If the garage isn't registered with the Information Commissioner's office to collect data, they'd be committing a criminal offence by leaving it turned on. So the fact that they've turned it off, IS professional.

Craig-P

Oct 20, 2016
I personally wouldn't be to worried about the dash cam being unplugged, as a few people have mentioned there is probably some kind of rights as to privacy etc and also nobody like's to be filmed without there consent especially at work, however I do believe that if they've unplugged it whilst they carry out the work on your car then it should of been plugged back in when it was finished or at least a note put on the jobcard to say that it was unplugged so that the service advisors could tell you before you left so that you where aware.

As for changing the radio station, again I wouldn't be to worried about this either I'm a technician for Seat and when I go on roadtest and if the radio is on I do sometimes change the station but again it should of been changed back and put back at the same volume as you had it, this is what I always do.

As for it being in CUPRA mode this is a bit suspicious for me, if they go on roadtest then there's no need for it be to in CUPRA mode unless you've specifically mentioned about a fault with the CUPRA mode which you haven't so this should of been left alone IMO. You will get a feedback form to fill about your experience at the dealership and how you felt it was/any problem's etc so if your that concerned you can mention all this is the comments and mark your score accordingly on how you feel (1-10 i think they are)

All cars that come into a dealership though and have had any mechanical work carried out on them from something as small as a service to as big as a new engine needs to have a roadtest though.

That's my input, hope it helps....

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Surely the data that is collected is that of how the car has been driven, not any personal data about any specific individual.

IMO, If a dashcam is installed then the dealership should leave it as it is, if they are not happy about it then they should not test drive the car and report that back to the customer. They have no right to modify a customers car without consent from the owner. Dealerships seem to have an odd view regarding other peoples property.

Keyzer Soze

Sep 18, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
If the garage isn't registered with the Information Commissioner's office to collect data, they'd be committing a criminal offence by leaving it turned on. So the fact that they've turned it off, IS professional.
Really! That throws up an interesting point about the legality of dashcams generally. Tbh I think the issue is more that these things were all done without discussing it with the owner. A mechanic should not be tinkering with fittings or settings on any car, unless it's agreed with the owner or it's within the scope of the work being done. Still unprofessional, imho.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Shouldn't the OP be discussing this with the service manager at the dealer instead of asking a lot of "forum lawyers". Get the answer from the horses mouth and then, if he's unhappy with the result bring it up here for advice on what to do next.?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
They unplug mine too at the dealership.

The way I see it, and I have been around garages all my life, is that some of the things that are said my mechanics and the like are best not heard, and some of the things they do are best not seen. Practical jokes and banter etc. They unplug so they can be themselves. And I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with it. Who cares at the end of the day?

Furthermore, it's important to note that I have a GPS tracker fitted to my car and I made the dealership well aware of this the first time they saw it. I had them mark it down on my file to prevent irresponsible drives.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Would there still be an issue if they unplugged it when they get into the car then plugged it back in before collection?

Do you check the footage on the camera after it's been with the dealer or does that happen with others and no one has realised?

Last edited:

Nick2016

Sep 17, 2016
Shouldn't the OP be discussing this with the service manager at the dealer instead of asking a lot of "forum lawyers". Get the answer from the horses mouth and then, if he's unhappy with the result bring it up here for advice on what to do next.?

Always to have the most information possible before asking the service manager.

If the manager mentions privacy laws he now knows it's not a made up excuse.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I suppose this incident highlights how people feel about 'privacy'. If I was having work carried out on my house would I disconnect the cctv? Er... No. Would I be happy if said tradesperson disconnected my cctv? ... Er... No. I'd inform them of its presence but no more.
Every site I visit through work has varying levels of cctv. If I or any of my engineers asked for it to be turned off , I can just imagine the answer.
It comes down to - if you've nowt to hide, why turn it off. And if the garage has a policy on dash cams etc , due to data protection, hurting mechanics feelings or any other reason, it should be explained before taking the vehicle in.

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
Really! That throws up an interesting point about the legality of dashcams generally. Tbh I think the issue is more that these things were all done without discussing it with the owner. A mechanic should not be tinkering with fittings or settings on any car, unless it's agreed with the owner or it's within the scope of the work being done. Still unprofessional, imho.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Only businesses and organisations have to notify the ICO for collection of data. Private individuals don't. A dash cam is fine, as is having CCTV at a private residence. Everything you need to know can be found here- https://ico.org.uk/

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members