Wierd humming noise when doing over 40mph

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
HI THERE I HAVE ABIT OF A PROBLEM WITH CUPRA TDI . WHEN I REACH ABOUT 40MPH I GET A KINDA HUMMING NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF THE CAR IVE TRYED TAKIN ALL THE WHEELS OFF AND PUTTING THEM BK ON TO ASSURE THEY WERE ON CORRECT , THERE IS NO SIGN OF ANY SORTS OF WOBBLE ON THE BRAKES WHEN I PRESS THEM SO DNT THINK ITS THE DISCS . COULD IT BE THE DRIVE SHAFT OR EVEN WORS MY GEAR BOX :censored: . COULD IT EVEN BE SUMATE TO DO WITH THE UNDER GUARD ,I WAS THINKING OF TAKING THAT OFF TO GIVE IT A TRY .ANY SUGGESTS WOULD B GRATEFUL BECAUSE AS WE ALL KNO NOISES LIKE THIS CAN BE REALLY ANNOYING :help::help::help::help: . THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited:

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
yeah it does ,never really thought of that .any ways of telling if it is the bearing:shrug: cheers

FIRSTLY - DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR FAST. When a bearing is on it's way out a lot of heat is generated caused by excess friction on the parts, driving fast heats the parts up even more and can lead to the parts seizing up caused by friction welding (where the parts get to the melting point and simply fuse together and lock the wheel).

Jack the car up and have a check by

1. Spin the wheel, does it move freely and smoothly?

2. Grip the wheel at various positions and see if there's any play when you push and pull on it (don't push too hard, you don't want the car falling off the axle stands!). Usually i try to shake the wheel at the 3 o clock, 6 o clock, and 9 o clock positions.

They could point to other problems too, but the symptoms you give sounds like the same as i had with my old car.

If unsure i would get the car to a garage and ask them to check for you.

Last edited:

holty

Inside a nice VAG
Sep 25, 2008
In the Hills
I too have a strange noise on my Mk1 TDI.
Its worse when turning right.The whole dash reverberates.Its not a constant drone but more of a boom boom boom boom if that makes sense? :shrug:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
HI THERE I HAVE ABIT OF A PROBLEM WITH CUPRA TDI . WHEN I REACH ABOUT 40MPH I GET A KINDA HUMMING NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF THE CAR IVE TRYED TAKIN ALL THE WHEELS OFF AND PUTTING THEM BK ON TO ASSURE THEY WERE ON CORRECT , THERE IS NO SIGN OF ANY SORTS OF WOBBLE ON THE BRAKES WHEN I PRESS THEM SO DNT THINK ITS THE DISCS . COULD IT BE THE DRIVE SHAFT OR EVEN WORS MY GEAR BOX :censored: . COULD IT EVEN BE SUMATE TO DO WITH THE UNDER GUARD ,I WAS THINKING OF TAKING THAT OFF TO GIVE IT A TRY .ANY SUGGESTS WOULD B GRATEFUL BECAUSE AS WE ALL KNO NOISES LIKE THIS CAN BE REALLY ANNOYING :help::help::help::help: . THANKS IN ADVANCE

CapsLock.jpg

Last edited:

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
yeah iv been told its the wheel bearing so you was right . got the bearing for 15 quid and 40 quid labour so all not to bad hopfully s0olves the problems tho:shrug: il keep the post informed . cheers 4 your advice any way m8 :coolthumb

That's a very good price. It cost me £100 for mine on my 106 as the brake caliper was seized in place and they couldn't remove it :(

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
That's a very good price. It cost me £100 for mine on my 106 as the brake caliper was seized in place and they couldn't remove it :(

yeah got my car bk today after o/s wheel bearing was changed and it certainly done the trick no more hummin noise :D. cost me £60 in the end £20 for the bearing and 40 labour so im happy now cheers 4 the advice :thumbup:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.