Will it make a difference?

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
Right, at the moment im fed up with the bumpy ride in my ibiza, i used to have a zetec-s that had uprated stiff suspension and that wasn't half as bad,

i don't actually mind the stiffness, it just seems to chuck me about all over the place, and feels unstable.

would getting Eibach springs or something similar cure this or am i going to have to buy new shocks and springs?

Iv worked out that to have the springs bought and fitted it would cost me near enough £300, thats £130 for springs and £120 +vat fitting plus tracking.

To have shocks and springs it would cost nearly £600, thats £365 for FK coilovers and £160+ vat fitting plus tracking.

Bearing in mind my car has done 26k, so would the dampers cope with the lower springs?

Many thanks all.

Adam

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The dampers are half your problem, putting stiffer springs will make it worse on unmatched dampers.

Save up a bit more & get a 'kit' - you don't have to have coilovers don't forget.

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
The cheapest shocks and springs kit has been £365, thats for FK coilovers or the Koni sport kit.

Is there anywhere else that sells shocks and springs for a good price?

Cheers

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
thought someone on here was doing a group buy on Fk suspension.

But mork is right , nothing wrong with the springs its the damn dampers.

there are endless threads about this on the mk4's , so have a search through, all depends on what variant of mk4 you have to which match best.

Although i iwll say on th esmooth roads of europe the Ibiza is a dream, just as soon as you get over here it all goes wrong.

pine

Sep 30, 2005
Finland
FK coilovers are HARD, that's the experience from several different cars. I don't think Ibiza would be any different. FK's are good for the money, but comfort is not the best (is it in any coilovers+small car?)

But Dampers will make the car stiff, but not bumpy. Bumpiness comes from the springs. Several users have said that for example with Eibach springs the ride comfort is better than with stock sport Ibiza springs. Stock dampers with go fine with max. -30mm springs. Best setup will of course be springs+dampers fitted together (Koni, H&R, Eibach...).

IH786

Apr 8, 2004
Birmingham
I think muddyboots bought some Monroe shocks, which i hear a quite a large improvement over the standard shocks on the Tdi Sport, not too expensive either

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
I dont mind a hard ride, but i don't want it so hard that my teeth fall out!!

The Koni sport kit is the same price as FK coilovers at them min,

Will my standard dampers cope with Eibachs or will they wear out after 6 months?

Any pics of a mk4 ibiza on 17's lowered on Eibachs???

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
IH786 said:
I think muddyboots bought some Monroe shocks, which i hear a quite a large improvement over the standard shocks on the Tdi Sport, not too expensive either
Correct; Niall got some first, then I fitted a set recently.

They're Monroe "Reflex" shocks, running with standard springs, and have noticeably improved the ride comfort - which is what I wanted.
One thing I have noticed, is that they seem to have raised the front of the car very slightly, I'm guessing to being gas pressurised ? IE the old shocks - push the damper rods in and they stayed put. The new shocks, push the damper rod in, let go and it came fully out again.

Think they came to around £200 for a set of 4, and I fitted them myself: See my fitting guides: http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/links.htm

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
Sisson said:
I dont mind a hard ride, but i don't want it so hard that my teeth fall out!!

The Koni sport kit is the same price as FK coilovers at them min,

Will my standard dampers cope with Eibachs or will they wear out after 6 months?

Any pics of a mk4 ibiza on 17's lowered on Eibachs???

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/reports/phpslideshow.php?directory=205/big&currentPic=4

Lowered over 17's with Eibachs.

Im changing to FK Silverline X's though as it isnt low enough at the back for me!!

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
Looks good,

ill probs go for a 30-40mm drop on springs, then wait till my shocks nacker up then get koni struts or something,

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Sisson

I'd get the shocks done at the same time. The OE ones are crap to start with and just get worse.

If you do the springs first and the shocks later, you'll end up paying for labour charges twice - so if you're planning to do the shocks at some point, it makes financial sense to do the whole lot in one go.

I'd go for the Koni deal if it's still on as Colin suggested - good price, good reputation and the damping is adjustable too.

Just my opinion though :)

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
muddyboots

Lets just hope I never get a leaky shock then!

Considering the profit on "extras" you would have thought the dealers would offer everything under the sun. This practice has stood dealers like BMW and Audi in good stead for many years. I'm sure they make more profit on "extras" fitted to cars, then they make in the actual sale of the car. A mate of mine bought a BMW recently and spent almost £4k on extras.

You've got to laugh.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yeah it's a shame they discontinued it, I went to order one a while back, only to find it had been stopped a week or two before. Wanted one of those because it didn't lower the car so much as other kits.

Maybe they just want people to buy Cupras instead of modding Sports/FRs...