Windows opened themselves?

MK Guinness

I've got an '07 plate Seat Leon. Parked it up last night about 8pm. It was raining when we got back home so I'm sure all the windows were wound up. Locked it / set the alarm as usual and came inside.

Got up this morning to find both front windows wound fully down (backs are manual).

I'm not sure when they wound themselves down, but it rained really heavily last night and the seats / interior was dry?

The alarm hadn't triggered either (has a volumetric thingy as well as door switches).

Is this a common thing? Is there anything I can do to stop it happening again?

Mike

S.E.C.T.

kiss my face
Jun 14, 2009
The North
I suspect you accidentally held the open door button down for >2secs on your key fob which would open the doors, turn the alarm off, and wind down the electric windows

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
I've had this happen twice on mine, which is an 07 plate FR TFSI. There's another thread on here about it a few months back. The key question is - were the doors still locked, or unlocked when you found it?

The first time it happened on mine, I was woken in the night by the alarm going off. When I went to turn it off I noticed the windows were wound down, and also that next door's security light was on, so assumed someone had had a go at getting in but could find no damage. The key thing was that the doors were unlocked. Later found out that my neighbour had come home very late that night. Keep that in mind a moment...

The second time it happened on mine, I was stood right by the car. Using the Citroen keyfob's buttons to lock/unlock the Citroen C2 van I use for work, which was parked next to the Leon on the drive, actually unlocked the Leon as well as the C2, and at the same time wound down all the windows.

So - it's probable that the first time it happened, my neighbour locking her Honda Civic had possibly unlocked my Leon. Can't prove it but seems likely.

Both the above incidents happened within a few weeks, but in over a year since it hasn't happened again.

Maximus2000uk

I wonder if Citroen will change their marketing brochures accordingly. Gone will be:

BUY A NEW CITROEN C2 WITH £4,000 CASHBACK!

In its place will be:

BUY A NEW CITROEN C2 WITH A SEAT LEON FREE!

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
HAd something similafr a few weeks back. We have a LEON 56 plate, father in law popped round who has a new vw scirocco. He picked up the leon car keys and managed to open the scirocco, only realising he had the wrong keys when it wouldn't start...:0

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
You'll never find the doors unlocked as if no doors are opened within about 20-30 seconds the car will relock and re-arm the alarm if it was armed before hand.

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
That's exactly why this situation is so odd - on my car, both times the doors WERE unlocked, and the windows were wound down.

The first time the alarm was going off, but the second time it wasn't, and appeared to have been unset as it didn't go off when I opened the door.

It's got to be some electronic glitch. In a way I wish mine did it all the time so I could replicate the problem at the dealers. That said - it's not done it in about a year - and the C2 is still parked next to it on the driveway!

Maximus - like your comment about buy a C2 and get a free Leon :lol:

At least the Leon won't fall apart quite as quickly as the C2... even the "N" from the Citroen badge has fallen off!

BigNeil

I've not had this problem with my Leon but did have it happen on a previous Fabia vRS. After numerous trips to the dealers with wet seats they a fuse had blown on the ECU. They replaced this and then reprogrammed the ECU and I never had any more problems. Don't know if this may be your problem but as they are both VAG cars may be worth a question to the dealers.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Sorry to drag up an old thread but this has just happened to me.

Couldn't find my mobile phone. Called it and could hear it. Realised it was in my car. Went out and both front and back Windows are open fronts 50% backs fully.

Its the middle of a storm and the car is freaking drenched.

Anyone finally work our what it was? Also how do I dry this out?!

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
:lol:Had the same happen 2 me couple o times seems cos elec windows can b opened by keyfob if u bend down wi keys in ya trousers pocket u press the button (have 2 take mine out when I'm doin housework stuff now:lol:)

aidiewright

Seat Leon FR 170
Oct 20, 2013
East Yorkshire, Driffield
I've had this happen to me about a month ago! Luckily for me it was not raining but was below freezing so was sat on rocks on the way to work, Only time it has happened.

P.S Paul are you a blade or a pig? ;)

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I used to work in a VW garage and we had a batch of about 50 new vans in for a local council. More than once i had a key in my hand that opened more than one van.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
If my windows are down at ignition off and i press up then take my key out sometimes the window goes back down......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
I've had this happen to me about a month ago! Luckily for me it was not raining but was below freezing so was sat on rocks on the way to work, Only time it has happened.

P.S Paul are you a blade or a pig? ;)
:lol:Hey that suposed 2 b directed @ me? if so neither DON'T do football bike racin's my thing
superbikes&moto gp!!!:p

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Well it's not happened since. The keys wouldn't of been accidentally pressed as they went from my hands to the bedside table and didn't move.

Glad I live in a safe area as my phone was on the dashboard!

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and it had been raining heavily during the night and when I wanted to start the car I noticed that the front windows were down. I thought it was probably me that accidentally pressed the unlock button on the key fob for a few seconds by mistake. I'm wondering if it's the weather that has something to do with it, was also wondering about car battery being a possible culprit but I've had a brand new Bosch battery installed for a few weeks already.

waggyy

Jun 16, 2013
bugbrooke, northampton
Had the same problem with a 51plate polo. When it rained there was water getting into the central locking unit, which caused a short circuit . This unlocked the doors and opened the Windows. Disconnecting the central locking solved the problem until I could change the unit. Apparently it was a common problem with polos.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members