Wing Mirrors.......

wedgie27

LIL_WDG
Jul 1, 2008
Worcester
Thinkin about changing the colour of my wing mirrors! I've already got colour coded mirrors.....but was thinkin about maybe sprayin them white to match my wheels.....or buyin chrome ones....only prob bein I ent got much chrome on the car and not sure if it would go??

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!?

:think:

Apr 27, 2008
am after swapping my chrome wing mirrors for colour coded ones, i was going to buy new ones and spray them but if you fancy a swap.....

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Don't go for chrome ones... it will look a bit odd on your car (too many colours all together.) I would go for spraying them white, to match your wheels. Maybe do your grill and rear badge too? I have gone for a grey and matte black scheme with my car! I sprayed my mirrors, its really easy...

wedgie27

LIL_WDG
Jul 1, 2008
Worcester
yeh sounds like a plan mike.......i went to my local stealer last friday to pick up my lcr splitter and saw a new leon cupra with white wheels and white mirrors....it looked awesome! just wanted to get a general idea of what people thought......i think white is the colour to go.....are they easy to remove and refit?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yeh sounds like a plan mike.......i went to my local stealer last friday to pick up my lcr splitter and saw a new leon cupra with white wheels and white mirrors....it looked awesome! just wanted to get a general idea of what people thought......i think white is the colour to go.....are they easy to remove and refit?

Yes mate! Bend the mirrors in and start to pull the cover off from the hinged end... you have to give it a bit of a tug but it will come off easy peasy. If your worried, get a new set from the stealers and prime and paint them first, then just swap them over... then it doesn't matter if you snap anything getting them off!

wedgie27

LIL_WDG
Jul 1, 2008
Worcester
yes im guna get a new set and spray them as i wana keep the original ones as i know if i wana change them back i will never match the same colour yellow!! think i might check ebay see if i can pick any up!

where did u get ur bonnet bra?

wedgie27

LIL_WDG
Jul 1, 2008
Worcester
yes i was guna put black wheels on......but opted for white. ive seen a few yellow ones with black, but none with white, and i like to be different!! :)

Just found some covers on ebay, guna get them and spray them white.

Have you sprayed your grill and rear badge black then?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yes i was guna put black wheels on......but opted for white. ive seen a few yellow ones with black, but none with white, and i like to be different!! :)

Just found some covers on ebay, guna get them and spray them white.

Have you sprayed your grill and rear badge black then?

Grill is an FK badgeless grill. I have sparayed my rear boot handle matte black (instead of the usual chrome.) Was thinking of painting my original grill matte black too and actually re-fitting it!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
colour code to the wheels is the way forward!

P1030398.jpg

P1030396.jpg

mwl_303

best way to spray?

wanting to spray mirrors black to match the car .. would they need baking? or just the colour and coat it with a lacquer? :think:

don't want to do a botch job and just seeing what you guys think .. looking around site you all know what your talking about! :happy:

cheers!

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
wanting to spray mirrors black to match the car .. would they need baking? or just the colour and coat it with a lacquer? :think:

don't want to do a botch job and just seeing what you guys think .. looking around site you all know what your talking about! :happy:

cheers!

I wiped mine down to clean them, then sanded back with a fine grit paper (1200 grit, just to key the surface a bit.) Then a couple of thin layers of primer (you can get plastic primer but I just used the Halfrauds stuff!) followed by a heavier layer. Leave 20 mins between each coast. Leave overnight to properly dry. Another rub down with very fine paper (1500) and quick clean (I used industrial wipes when doing mirrors and my wheels.) Then build up the colour in a few thin coats, leaving 20mins between each coat. No baking required. Maybe leave the covers somewhere warm to harden a bit quicker!
I sparayed mine matte black so didn't bother with lacquer, but if you want it shiney, shiney, then a few layers of it should do the job. I think getting the lacquer right is the hardest part, or so I have heard... Good luck!

mwl_303

ok cheers Gooner_Mike .. if it take the lazy route and just ordered a new set im guessing they will cost a lot for what they are from a SEAT dealership?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.