Winter V all Weather tyres

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Finally got my 16in alloys to replace my summer 18's, just wondering is it better to go for full winters in our climate or all weather.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Personally I run snow tyres on the van in winter. If you're going to do something like that then half measures are not worth it really. You have the standard tyres for summer use so I'd get some snow tyres for winter and use them. Just for info, I found that the snow tyres were also much better in the wet aswell with less aquaplaning and better water clearing.

Toyo Snowprox is what I had fitted last year and they were great.

As for the Altea, well I just run ordinary tyres on that and the wife is told not to go out if there's snow about. But the van is out every day working so that needs more.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Whats the wear like on the winters, I presume they wear out faster than the summer ones.

cherryone

Dec 15, 2006
Remember that when you have your 'snow' tyres on they usually have a recommended maximum speed restriction of approximately 120kph - (75mph) as I have a friend who works out in a ski resort in Austria who has his snow set on for approx 8months of the year of his golf and he never goes over
70mph.
I'm guessing its something to do with tread block spacing !? Thus reducing dry grip especially round corners etc.
Maybe any european members from colder countries can confirm/disagree ?!
Anyway it'll do wonders for economy....

Cheers
Mark

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Theres no restriction on these, but during the winter months we get very little snow and more low temps and icey roads say under 6 degrees C, so from trawling the net most summers loose pliability and traction in a severe way under 7 degrees C and that Winter tyres will operate upto 20c (at which point they should be switched to Summers). All-Seasons remained rather pointless.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&s...r+tyre+operating+temp+range&btnG=Search&meta=

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I did notice some faster wear on the winter tyres, but not much. Given the better performance I was happy with that, and also I didn't take them off again in summer as summer never really happened up here.