Wiper info

nobba

Jul 11, 2007
Barnsley
I was out in the rain on tuesday and had my wipers on intermittent. I noticed that every now and again as the wipers did their cycle, they not only waited whilst in the vertical position but they paused briefly halfway through when the wipers reached the bottom. Has anyone else encountered this? I looked in the manual but that wasnt much help. Only reason I could think of was if it hapened when i was going over a certain speed (I was on the motorway at the time). It doesnt seem to have happened since but then again it hasnt rained whilst I have been on the motorway. :confused:

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

if you go over 80mph thats when they do this :D

Irfan

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
It's just the wipers re-calibrating themselves with each other.

They are using two seperate motors and mechanisms, and because the two will never be EXACTLY the same, they will eventually get too close to each other and get tangled up at the bottom.

The stopping at the bottom of the swipe is just a calibration piont.

:takes off anorak:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
It's just the wipers re-calibrating themselves with each other.

They are using two seperate motors and mechanisms, and because the two will never be EXACTLY the same, they will eventually get too close to each other and get tangled up at the bottom.

The stopping at the bottom of the swipe is just a calibration piont.

:takes off anorak:

So it needs to calibrate every wipe when doing over 80 on intermittant wipe, yet under 80 it doesn't need to calibrate, not does it need to calibrate at all when on normal or fast wipe at any speed from 5mph to 130mph?

Me thinks you read the wrong instruction book with your anorak on :cartman:

pr0ton

May 28, 2006
OT and prolly dumb: Why does one of my wipers 'skid' over the windscreen? How can I fix it?

I have this same problem sometimes. When i haven't used the wipers for couple of days they work without problems. But in heavy rain and after using them a while the driver side (left in here) starts to skid. It's very annoying. It's like they are sticky or something, but doesn't feel sticky when touching them. It skips about 5cm then wipes another 5cm and then agains skips 5cm etc etc

Last edited:

EdRook

In regards to the skipping, I had the same problem and discovered that the blades were warped, I complained to SEAT and they replaced them foc.

tyrone28

with regards to the wipers stoping at 80 mph this is a fault and reqs wiper master unit replacing.:cry:

EdRook

Who told you that it is a fault? Mine also pause briefly at the bottom of the screen at 80mph and always have done.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

with regards to the wipers stoping at 80 mph this is a fault and reqs wiper master unit replacing.:cry:

I really don’t think its a fault either as it has done it on every Leon I have had

more than likely something to do with the speed sensing wipers like for example if your wipers are on constant and you come to a stop them go onto intermittent automatically

Irfan

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
If it was a fault and happens to jsut about every newer seat, then how are they still in production, surly garages would be swamped with complaints, know i would be straight down with it. How is it diagnosed as a fault then?

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
i work on them:lol:

I'll make a note *not* to go to your garage if you work on them and have duff info like that! :lol:

They pause (briefly) by design when on intermittent and you are doing over 80. Either that or every new style Leon and Altea and Toledo built ... is faulty :cartman:

rpmleon

RPM
Sep 9, 2007
Bedfordshire
80mph gentlemen:-o In this country!!!!

Tut.............Tut.......................Tut!!!!

Mind you, to quote "AR-CoolC" :takes off anorak:D

RPM

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
So it needs to calibrate every wipe when doing over 80 on intermittant wipe, yet under 80 it doesn't need to calibrate, not does it need to calibrate at all when on normal or fast wipe at any speed from 5mph to 130mph?

Me thinks you read the wrong instruction book with your anorak on :cartman:

No it's because at 80mph the air speed over the windscreen interferes with the wipe speed of the blade, thus resulting in it reaching the bottom of it's sweep slightly later than it would in normal operation (below 80mph) and needs to re-calibrate.

You haven't done as much driving as me in the rain obviously, as I've seen the wipers stop at the bottom at all speeds and on double speed wipes. But TBH I very rearly have the wipers on anything other than intermittent anyway :p

See told you I was an anorak.:D