Wipers randomly going off... Ghostly?

chrisrat

Jan 3, 2002
Dundee
Hey guys,

my car seems to have developed a strange problem, initially it was only the back wiper but now both are just randomly going off... Ill be driving along for hours with nothing then suddenly all the wipers go off... or sometimes just the back or sometimes just the front.
Ive replaced the relay but the same thing, i was thinking its might have been the main unit with the indicators and wiper switches on it but Im thinking its going to be a bit expensive to replace when it might no be that so I though Id ask incase anyone had seen it before?

Many thanks,

Chris

chrisrat

Jan 3, 2002
Dundee
Cheers guys,

already replaced the relay.... well ive replaced one but both are still going of, ill havea look and see if there is two, any other ideas?

Its weird, quite annoying....

Cheers,

Chris

Hi had a look at the fuse box and haynes.... :thumbup:

There are 2 relays, number 8 and number 2

This is the pattern for the 1.0 - 1.4 of the relays, the fuses are in a row just below them...

19 20 21 22 23 24
13 14 15 16 17 18
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12

Take them out one at a time and give the connections a good clean and possible some wd40, if they still don't work then its getting some via your local motorfactors, stealer or scrappy (Which might be busted too)/

:thumbup:

chrisrat

Jan 3, 2002
Dundee
andythom said:
Hi had a look at the fuse box and haynes.... :thumbup:

There are 2 relays, number 8 and number 2

This is the pattern for the 1.0 - 1.4 of the relays, the fuses are in a row just below them...

19 20 21 22 23 24
13 14 15 16 17 18
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12

Take them out one at a time and give the connections a good clean and possible some wd40, if they still don't work then its getting some via your local motorfactors, stealer or scrappy (Which might be busted too)/

:thumbup:

Cheers for that, ill go try

chrisrat

Jan 3, 2002
Dundee
Cleaned everything, cleaned all the other relays while i was at it anyway. Under one of the wiper relays there seemed to be some sort of liquid but there didnt seem to be anywhere obvious it came from... Happens a lot less i have to say and now seems to only be the back one going off... i shall investigate some more!

BIGGUTS

May 24, 2005
BELFAST
this happened to me as well, take off the steering wheel & wiper stock switch, you will find a screw that just might need tightened or loosen it. you will notice that various metal sensors touch to activate the wipers. when i lowered my ibiza the wipers came on and off at random all the time due to the extra bumpy ride.

Matt111

hi, did anyone manage to isolate the problem on this? My front and back wipers go nuts, all by themselves,. i disconnected the front washer motor in case it was some voltage feeding back but that solved the back wiper problem fine. just still go tthe front one coming on all the time, of its own accord!! major bummer as i need to get a mot on it soon. cheers if you can help!